• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Burb no start... Grounds interior?

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
Okay the Brub has once again tried to move itself from my driveway and into the crusher.

Went to hit it this morning and no start. Good power and good grounds in the engine compartment.

This one has a twist though and I think it has to do with the interior fuse box, my guess at this point.

No glow plug heating, no cranking from the starter, no fuel pump, and no sign of visible life in her. BUT ALL the dash lights come on when the key is "on" and they do not go out. Even the highbeam light is on. The only exception is no "glow plug" light. It is almost like it is hanging on the initial turn-on sequence of self checking.

On a related or unrelated note the door locks do not work, and haven't for a while. My guess is that there may be a grounding issue under the dash causing some havoc?

... Having never dug up under the dash... What can I find related to these issues?

... The wife is already harping on newer Suburbans are at a deep discount. I was hoping to make it for the 4.5TD Burb. :(

Have look under the hood at ENG-I fuse (glow plugs) and or the ECM-B fuse (lift pump).
Does it have a WTF light flash?
Starter fuse "crank #8 - 10A" inside the vehicle.

Adrian, check the spades on your fuses... they are aluminum and can really oxidize up... a few guys have cleaned 'em all off and cleaned the clips with Antiox and solved some mystery issues like yours...

I have a problem with my fuse box. I replaced the fuses that were having problems and the new ones I bent the spades out a little for better contact. Seems to work for now.

Hey Adrian,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. They sounds suspiciously like the symptoms from my "Melange" incident. Check this thread:

http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=3069&highlight=melange&page=2

Bottom line - Check ALL your engine bay fuses - pull each one, clean off the spade legs with wire brush until sparkling, then spray deoxit into the sockets and flush-em out. It sounds like a power issue. Don't forget to check your grounds.

-Rob :)

Back