• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brake Hardware Clean and Adjust

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
I had to rotate my tires tonight, so in the process I decided to take all 4 calipers off, clean and lube the hardware while I was at it. Took the stainless clips off the caliper mounts, cleaned them, wire brushed the rust and painted under the clips, dremeled the ears on the brake pads and painted them, lubed the caliper slide bolts, put it all back together and pumped up the brakes. Typically I can't do anything without drawing blood; this did not dissapoint. The T-55 bolts in the back have such a shallow head, I broke the right side loose, the breaker bar slipped out and I bashed myself in the mouth with the business end of a torx socket. Highly unpleasant.

Man what a difference though! The pedal is stiff as a board now and it stops on a dime!

I have to give credit to a guy named heymccall on DP for doing a write-up on this. He has it spot on when he says to do this to any and every truck. For anyone that hasn't ever done this, I highly recommend it especially if you think your brakes are spongy or soft.

Back