• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

block drains

bk95td

6.5 nut job/addict
Reaction score
I pulled the engine-trans./transfer case[in one piece] out of my 93 k3500 parts truck today.I split the engine off and put it on the stand to take the heads off. I tried to take the drain plugs out of the sides of the block but no go. I broke 2 -1/4in drive extensions off. Can i heat the block with a torch to loosen plugs? Or is there a better way to remove them? I don't want anti-freeze in the cyl. Also i pulled the glows out and they were wet and smelled kinda like old gas. I had tried to start it before i pulled it but it didn't fire and there was bubbles in the overflow tank after cranking without a belt on.Much to my suprise the engine is a 506 block and it has a goodwrench tranny. Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Barry:mad2:

You can heat them up like he said or you can let them soak for a day using sea foam. Sea foam does wonders if you let it sit for a day:D

Sucess. They surrendered to the torch. I was a little nervous about torching the block. The anti-freeze that came out was black. The heads are definitly coming off now. Hopeing for just gaskets but i do have extra heads. Thanks for the replies. Gotta get back to it.I can' stand having my hands this cleen. Barry

Sucess. They surrendered to the torch. I was a little nervous about torching the block. The anti-freeze that came out was black. The heads are definitly coming off now. Hopeing for just gaskets but i do have extra heads. Thanks for the replies. Gotta get back to it.I can' stand having my hands this cleen. Barry

Could that have anything to do with 1/2 the vehicles in your sig are 'blown up?' :)

Put hex headed plugs back in with some Permatex #2 on the threads. This will enable you ro remove them later if need be.

Use Felpro gaskets for the heads. These are the best in the business.

Also the head bolts have to be replaced with new ones. TTY ya know :sad:

Just be sure that there is no real erossion around the fire rings.
Slight darkening of the metal is ok but if there is a deep erroded groove then the deck should be cut .010" and the thicker gaskets installed.

Best

MGW

Last edited:
The blown up trucks in my sig were purchaced that way. I've never had the thrill of blowing a 6.5 up, yet. I have engines for all of them now. I just need to get with it. If it wasn't for this stupid computer i could get more done on the fleet. Oh no my hands are clean again,back to work

i would drill and tap the unused bosses for a 1/4 drain cock,that way you can drain the coolant when needed. thats what i did on mine.

In the future, try paraffin wax. Heat the whole sucker up and then melt some wax on it, concentrating around the edges of the threads. That stuff will seep like no other; we use it at work on motors with 5,000 HARD hours on cast iron blocks with painted over plugs that haven't been moved since manufacture. They usually come out on the first try.

I was thinking of that but didn't have any candles around the house. I've been wanting to try that on exhaust bolts. Must put it on my shopping list.

Back