• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bench priming DS4?

BustedWrench

Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering if it's possible to bench prime a DS4 pump and injector lines by turning the pump without it hooked up to a PMD/computer/whatever else it is that controls the pump. I realise it won't run, but does it move fuel at all, even at a low pressure?

I'm hoping I can prime an engine on a stand with just a jug of diesel, an electric pump, and turning the engine over by hand, or if I'm wasting my time . . . .

Thanks!!

Hey all, just wondering if it's possible to bench prime a DS4 pump and injector lines by turning the pump without it hooked up to a PMD/computer/whatever else it is that controls the pump. I realise it won't run, but does it move fuel at all, even at a low pressure?

I'm hoping I can prime an engine on a stand with just a jug of diesel, an electric pump, and turning the engine over by hand, or if I'm wasting my time . . . .

Thanks!!

there was another topic asking the same thing on another forum, but i cant find it, if i remember correctly, alot were mentioning the electric shut off solonoid was an issue, cant just remove it cause it holds a plunger or something like it at a specific location.. something or other..

google it, im sure something will come up that you can use for referance

Found a post on here about the Engine Shut Off solenoid, which is the 1x3" vertical cylinder mounted on the front of the DS4. It has two wires coming from the top of it, don't know if one is ground and one power, or something else and it grounds through the mount. Oh well, it's a customer's engine and I don't want to blow anything, guess I'll prime it in the truck. Thanks!!

Only thing you can do is unscrew the Engine Shut Off solenoid (on top), fill the housing with fresh clean filtered Diesel fuel, replace the solenoid - if you have a Bacharach flow bench with Stanadyne test setup, you can indeed prime a DS4 - whatever you do, start with a fresh fuel filter, fill the cannister via the lift pump, prime the fuel line up to the DS4 - take it from there

Back