• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Batteries Died, Now Headlights are always on

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
So as title states, I killed the batteries the other day by leaving the stereo on for way too long. :nono:

Now I noticed that everytime I start the truck, the headlights are on, like the light sensor is reading something incorrectly. The DRL and Rev lights come on also whenever I unlock the doors, just like it was dark. But this happens even in the middle of the day in broad daylight.

Anyone experience anything like this? Any ideas?

I've noticed jump starting chevy gassers that the parking lights come on and won't turn off until you cycle the truck off and on again. Kinda weird.

I'd try disconnecting the batteries overnight, put batteries on a trickle charger while not conneted to the truck, and then start it under it's own power the next day.

Two things to check...

1. Did you lose your radio presets? If so, you might have also lost your personal prefernce settings. Do you have the steering wheel redundant controls? If so, you should be able to use the controls on the lower right leg of the wheel to scroll through your personal options, including lock/unlock feedback, etc. Check that out, might have gotten wiped out.

2. Stupid question... is something covering the light sensor?

Or when the light sensor fails, it'll make them go on all the time. The BCM thinks its dark out all the time. I have seen several GM trucks with a failed or broken light sensor, where all of them, the lights were stuck on all the time. A few of us disabled the auto light sensor to get rid of this problem since none of us were really a fan of auto lights. Just jump 2 wires together under the BCM and the sensor is fooled into thinking that its daylight out all the time.

Thanks for the tips guys. Strangely enough after a couple days it appears to be working as normal. No worries right now. Thanks again.

So over the past few weeks or so, I noticed that the light sensor appeared to be super sensitive. Like it could be mid day but slightly overcast or partly cloudy, the headlights would switch on.

... So today, I am changing the time on the radio for Daylight Savings time, and I noticed that the time was set to 1045PM instead of 1045AM. I changed it so it read the correct time, started the truck and lo and behold, that seems to have fixed it. The HVAC / Stereo / Light Sensor must all work with each other. Gotta love BCM Computers......

Back