• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

bare chassis pulling a gooseneck: what to do for fenders

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey everyone, got the bed off the 95 GMC, and now I need to rig up some fenders, and was wondering if anyone had an affordable idea. I was going to go all classy like with some plastic 55 gallon drums cut in half and cut again, but it may be too classy and too small for the tires, so other ideas appreciated.

if I am hooked to the gooseneck, do I need a bumper? surely I need a pair of taillights right?

any input appreciated, thanks!

Tail lights are definate. Bumper I am not sure of I would think you would have to have something. As for fenders Buyers products have plastic one made for 16 or 19 inch tires. However are not the cheapest route. IIRC around 250-300. If you have fab shop with a roller press they could roll you some out of alum. diamand plate would look sharp but again not the cheapest route. You might not need them though, I know you would need flaps for sure.

Take a look at Adam's Rig - malibu795
I think that's just what you are asking about. Send him a PM and he'll probably be real helpful.

Adam.jpg Adam1.jpg

I searched "dual wheel fender" in google, also looked at trailer fenders...there are some options out there...google time. :) Good luck.

we are talking harbor freight and home depot type of quality of construction. (I am in Idaho, and both are 40 miles away. far better than 150 miles for home depot and 200+ for harbor freight (which I still hate, but its super cheap) as it is in KS.) reeealy temporary, just need to go a couple thousand miles till I can afford a flatbed. we are talking hopefully coming in less than 50 bucks for the project.

I was thinking 4x4 lumber with some sort of heavy sheet plastic, cut to size, screwed to one board, arched over tire, and screwed to other one. likely will just ratchet strap lumber to frame.

the trailer connector I am using will have both 4 pin and 7 pin, so I think a harbor freight set of magnet lights on each frame corner and plugged into the 4 pin while trailer is set up on 7 pin ought to work ok, dont you think?

the steel option is the local scrap yard sells super cheap fenders for trailers, so maybe a pair of them fastened to angle iron and u-bolt the angle iron to the frame.

luckily we are only trying to keep 245/75s covered instead of 305/75s. :)

Piece of culvert pipe cut in half from the local scrap yard? Angle iron supports and a set of tractor rear lights wired in and off ya go.

If you want to be cheap and as long as it don't rain. Cardboard(or plywood) and some 2X4's. :hihi:

well, a three sided box over the tires would work. box of scews and a hack saw and I am in business! probably cheaper than the plastic.

Find a junk trailer or something, cut the fenders off, couple pieces of angle and some cheap trailer lights (maybe get them off said trailer?) wired in with crimp connectors and electrical tape.

Better idea: hit up a JY, find a pickup, cut the inner-bed fenderwells out and rig them up, maybe with a front fender liner to make up the difference.

I found some semi quarter fenders in the junkpile (at the farm) but they dont fit. yet. :)

the lights, I need to check how much the harbor freight magnetic ones are, otherwise I bet I could wire up some cheapie plastic housing ones with the stud up for cheaper.

I had the SD card in the laptop, and was uploading to Photobucket, and I figured that everyone needed a conclusive update as well as a taste of white trash.

well here it is, the hardware store fenders I made up. They have worked way better than I planned. I have trimmed the front flaps in half, due to hard rubbing on the tires. they are half length, and still rub slightly. the full length ones rubbed through, and the un-worn strip on the far outside un-threaded the valve cap, but didnt seemed to hurt the stem. So, now at half length, they have worn slightly, but wont hurt the stem, and wont have big tails whipping around.

the flaps are held in place by hex head heavy screws and a fender washer. I punched through the flashing when threading them in, so the mudflap and the screws hold the flashing steady. I was worried there wasnt enough coverage on the inside of the flashing, so a super classy duct-tape "feathered edge" was installed. this likely also keeps it from flapping about in the wind, breaking up the air. covered the outside edge of the flashing with some cheap electrical tape for a finished effect , and so no poor sucker cuts themselves on the flashing.

the 2-by-4 pressure treated stringers are held in place by cheapie harbor freight ratchet straps, one per stringer, so only half the four pack was used. they loop over each side, and under the frame and are tight, so it effectively holds it against the frame rails.

the lights, I got a grote kit from the local big truck outfit, came with metal brackets, lights, grommets, wiring pigtails, etc. so the lights are semi-classy. I will tidy up the wiring if I plan to keep it this way. they cost about 27 bucks and were Grote, so commerical quality, even if they were made outside the country (taiwan or mexico, cant remember) and were better than the 20 dollar chinese harbor freight magnet set.

You sure you're not Red Green? You're about three rolls of duct tape from guest-starring that show. :hihi:

(I know, shutthehellup, right?) :)

How come I get the feeling somebody is gonna post pics of your setup in an e-mail about vehicles seen at wallyworld some day?

Hey, if it works for you WTH? :dunno:

I'll go away now...

if it didnt work, I would have tossed them immediately. apparently they feel the love, as the crap actually works! :0 :D

Honestly, it appears as if a good gust of wind would grab the flashing and rip it apart, or at least scoot it around so the wood rubs on the tires, mudflaps catch on tall grass and get under tires and break the wood, etc. but it hasnt so far. :thumbsup:

I bet nothing weighs this little though. max payload ladies and gents! :D

dont worry, no other vehicle mods/ repairs are made in this manner. if it is permanent, it is fixed right. no garden hose oil cooler lines here! this started as a something that would only be needed to legally make it across wyoming and back home, then flatbed time. the flatbed is ugly and heavy, this is ugly and light and allready on, so it stays! :D

If going very far, it was probably a good choice to go with the other lights over the Harbor Freight mag-base lights. I've got that HF mag-base set, just for when in a pinch. Like finding equip going too cheap to pass up at an auction, but it's dark by haul home time.

The HF mag-base lights are functional enough & easy to string the wire, but the magnet attachment is fairly weak to trust without some duct tape reinforcement to ensure the lights stay put where placed.

You sure you're not Red Green? You're about three rolls of duct tape from guest-starring that show. :hihi:

(I know, shutthehellup, right?) :)

after buying a roll of duct tape at the store, I have concluded that Red Green might save money fixing it right, and the duct tape budget makes up a decent portion of the show's total budget! :D

Back