• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aux Tank: legalities and regulations

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have contemplated re-installing the 108 gallon (I think 110 filled to the brim, rated for 102, or 108, cant remember, but definitely over 100 gallon) in the back of the 93 K2500, but am concerned about the legalities of it all. The tank is a single wall steel L shaped tank that the PO cut a hole in the bed and welded a fitting to the bottom of the tank, and had it ran through a sediment bowl and dumped right into the fill hose of the main tank.

is there nationwide rules, or does it vary state to state, such as I can legally run a certain gallonage and plumbing in one state, but cant in another?

I assume they want a suck straw from one of the top fittings so that if the hose was to get cut, you would hopefully shut it down? also I have heard 100 gallons is the dividing line between certain rules, is this true?

I will be out west (KS, CO, WY, ID, UT, CA, NV, OR) primarily, but on occasion might end up in the corn belt for a header, but very rarely.

any input on the rules appreciated!

(also, mods, move this OT if it doesnt fit here)

thanks!

I had a 52 gal on the back of my '82 Chev PU, it drained into the RH tank. When LH tank was 1/4 or less, switched over to the RH, and needed to burn like 60 gals o' diesel before the guage changed. This is in Calif, which has some severe rules about "everything", and it was no problemo, just put it in, & run with it.

I need more gas in my truck... GM put one piss-ant sized tank in mine. Anybody done a aux tank with gas? I'm thinking 40-60 gallons in the bed. Use a stock or generic style sending unit/pump combo and wire it to a gauge and timer in the cab. I can make the fitting to tie a fuel line to the fill neck hose so I can pump it to the stock tank. My biggest concern is the venting or tying the vent to the evap system in the truck.
Anybody tried it?

according FMCSR as long as it inside the body of the vehilce its legal
the only restriction on a CMV is the main tank cannot be gravity fed/syphoned to the engine. the aux tank can however be gravity feed to the main tank with a on/off valve there is not set limit as too how many gallons one can care on their truck as long as you dont over load it with fuel weight... seen 1200g on a semi in saddle tanks

according FMCSR as long as it inside the body of the vehilce its legal
the only restriction on a CMV is the main tank cannot be gravity fed/syphoned to the engine. the aux tank can however be gravity feed to the main tank with a on/off valve there is not set limit as too how many gallons one can care on their truck as long as you dont over load it with fuel weight... seen 1200g on a semi in saddle tanks

I've seen a setup like that used for gas before, a big 75+ gal tank in the bed feeding the main tank..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Back