• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Are there remote starts for a diesel?

Holyoak

Reaction score
So I was considering putting a remote start on my truck. It’s something I usually start thinking about every year when it starts getting cold. I went by a local auto shop where they tint windows, install custom wheels, stereo systems, alarm systems, remote starts and other general stuff. I asked him about a remote start and it turns out they are set up on timers. Once I started talking diesel and glow plug cycles I knew this was out of this guys league. He didn’t know how I could set one up for varying lengths of glow plug cycles once I explained to him that a cold engine has a longer cycle then a hot engine.

SO I’ve done a little research and I’m not sure about some of the answers I’m finding. Are there remote start systems out there that work on a diesel by taking into consideration the different wait to start times? If so, who makes them and can you send me their direction? Thanks…

Many have them on a Duramax. I would assume they are available for your application also. My buddies 99 Dodge Cummins has one

There should be something available for you. I have one on my truck and have no issues. I know a guy that has a 6.0 PS that waits like 15 sec. before starting.

I had a bull dog security remote start on my old blazer last year. Sold the vehicle but, kept the starter for the wifes Tahoe. Just waiting for the warranty to end so I can install it.

Here is a link to their site.
They sale ones that are good for a diesel truck.

Wish you luck!

As said, I have a Viper with alarm - awesome setup!

It has two options for the installer - the command start can use its own timing, or it can tap into the GP wires and crank the engine once the 12v from the GP turns off after the glow cycle.

I believe most of them that say gas or diesel on the box, give two options, a pre-set time or its hooked to the glowplug circuit, so when the glows go out the truck will start. I had one on both my chev 6.5 and on my 5.9 Dodge,

Back