• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone putting 6.2s into C-10s?

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has put the 6.2 into a 68-72 style Chevy?

Bolt-in? What trannies work?

Sorry for the knob questions but I am unfamiliar with the conversion possibilities.

The goal is to make a C-10 or C-20 work truck in old school fashion and use a 6.2 for motivation and to hopefully get 20+ MPG. Rumors I have heard are close to 25 but that seems high IMO.

Maybe a turbo 6.2 with the A-team kit, but that would be step #2.

Any insights are appreciated.

It is very possible, there is a guy on Diesel Place who did it, not sure if he is a member here yet though. The 6.2 motor mounts are the same as any small block chevy, you will have to do some work for the wiring on the glow plugs but shouldn't be too bad. I have heard of guys with 6.2s in the 1/2 tons getting up to 24ish so it is deffinantly possible.

I installed a 6.2 into a K-5 Blazer back in 1985. I ran a sm 465 4 speed tranny, 36 inch tires, 1 ton running gear with 4.10's and lockers front and rear. It was a blast to drive. I wish I would have turboed it. The only issues I ran into was the crossmember that ran under the oil pan had to be removed because it didn't allow enough clearance for the oil pan. That old blazer was very heavy and got about 15 mpg. After driving it for a long time, I pulled the engine and put it in a 83 pickup along with all of my 1 ton running gear and turboed it at the same time. The guy I sold my blazer to, installed a 350 gasser that he used to get very good mileage in a short bed pickup with and found out it didn't do well in the blazer. I also installed a hydroboost brake system in the blazer when I did the swap.

Just wondering if anyone has put the 6.2 into a 68-72 style Chevy?

Bolt-in? What trannies work?

Sorry for the knob questions but I am unfamiliar with the conversion possibilities.

The goal is to make a C-10 or C-20 work truck in old school fashion and use a 6.2 for motivation and to hopefully get 20+ MPG. Rumors I have heard are close to 25 but that seems high IMO.

Maybe a turbo 6.2 with the A-team kit, but that would be step #2.

Any insights are appreciated.

Good luck. It is do-able. Keep us posted, pics too!!

Update: Still looking for a donor motor.

I may have found a whole 98 3500 6.5TD parts truck... We will see what happens.

Thanks!

Back