• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

any thoughts on this combo ?

dmaxx3500

Deputy
Reaction score
im putting together a bbc

merlin tall deck block
4.75'' cola crank
4.650 bore
dart alum 360 heads
10.5-1 comp
dart 4500 intake
1250cfm dom carb
custom cam/765 lift 301 dur 114 ctr line

its going in a x-pro stock cavalier w/5 speed lenco and dana 60 4.10 gears,and being driven on the street,

so heres my question ,having never gone this big of a cam[last 3 boat engs were 714 lifts] is this to big

That sound about right to me. . .Tho i think with your Power curve 4.56-4.88 gears would work out a bit better for you. . .4.10s with short wide tires would work. . .I have 26x12-15s on my AMX with a 4spd and 4.44 gears car hauls great. . .

Mikey

Yea under stand that but you don't want it lugging all the time or your street performance will also suffer thats why i suggested the 4.56-4.88 gears. . .The 4.56 would a good street gear for your combo. . .the 4.88 would be more of street/strip Gear. . .The prue drag guys Running that setup tend to be Running the 4.88-5.13 gears. . .

Mikey

enough isn't my concern tho. . .it at what RPM dose it start pulling n what RPM dose it Peak. . .

Say it idles at 1250RPM Peak torque is at 3500Rpm but it don't start gaining torque till 2100Rpm now from 1250 to 2200-3500 you don't have much torque. . .
so you might have a 600hp machine but the same car with a weaker power plant out performs you cause his gearing matches his power curve.

EX:
If You Under gear it your car might run 20-100mph like a top fuel dragster but from 0-18mph it takes off like a city metro bus. . .

On the other hand If you over gear it, It'll takes off like shot gun blast but half way threw the run your Red lined in High gear hopping ta hit the finish line before your Rotating assembly Comes apart . . .

I am just trying to give you all the info i have learn with building cars n trucks. More often then not it some time requires a few regearings to get your ideal performance.

I am only geussing as i don't know youre HP n TQ i don't know car weght or RPM ranges tire size or Driving preferences. . .

Mikey

i drag raced for 20+ years,this being 632cu engs im thinking the low end should be ok,on the dyno sim this thing should make 925-940 hp at 6200[im looking to see 950 in real life]torque should be 650ftp at 1400 and 900ftp at 5600,,should idle at 950,,this cam is a little taller then my 3 just done boat eng's and they idle at 800 with .714 lift cams and make 814 hp at 5600 and 760ftp of torque at 5200 with 598 cu ,same heads,and acc.,,im just worried that this bigger cam has to fast a ramp up on lift [could break cam parts]so im getting more info from lunati the cam maker

Well then you seem to have it pretty well planned out Kind sir. . .
Build it run it enjoy it :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

Mikey

sorry,i didn't want to sound mean,im just looking for thoughts on the lift of this cam,[.765] i have heard this could be too fast a ramp cam and will break parts real easy,,but i guess i just need to finish it and do a few dyno pulls and see

well after running it for 45 minutes [to break it in,seat everything,readjust valves,change oil] we made 4 pulls,,1st run 75% load-791 hp,2nd 90% load-855hp,,3rd run- full load-886hp,stopped to let it cool down and reset timing and advance cam 4degs,4th time full load and run to 6500 rpm -927hp,eng wants more rpm's and timing,,now dissamble eng /ck everything,,then redyno and pickle it till the cavalier is done

the comp turns out to be 11.7 to 1,and im trying out a tunnel ram[hand made sheet alum] and 2 1050 doms and a ,798 lift cam,,,my only thought is this was supossed to fit under a small hood scoop,,o well

Back