• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any of you guys into kayaks or canoes?

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
I'd like to get a sea kayak or a canoe to use mainly in the river and bay near me. Any recommendations?

I've rented both before at places I've traveled to but don't really know much about them.

I have two 14 feet Wilderness Systems Kayaks. They are excellent recreational Kayaks for lakes and rivers. I've been in salt and fresh water, calm and rough seas, and they do just fine.

I had a Sit On Top fishing kayak. It was all riged for fishing. Your in the hot spot for kayaks. Had mine shipped in from Fl.

What are you going to use it for camping, long day trips, or just short trips solo or occasional tandem paddles? More for leisure or for getting in shape and a little fun workout?

I find Kayaks use more core strength and are better for a work out since you twist your torso paddling. Canoe's can be more leisurely, usually can hold more stuff, and just more versatile IMO. I generally find canoe's more comfortable for long outings. Kayaks seem to be more specialized depending on what you get. I am a little biased towards a Canoe but that is just me. I am not against kayaks but would want to try a few out before settling. Both can be fitted and accessorized according to usage and budget.

How you are going to haul it and launch it is almost as important to what you are going to use it for. The older I get I like the more expensive lighter ones. Its mostly a personal use and preference thing because there are many options out there.

I've had a 17 and 19' ft canoe old town's discovery I think. They were durable but heavy. I could turn around and sit in frt seat to solo paddle. I carried them on the roof of a small pickup. As you would figure the 17 was easier to launch and paddle solo. The 19' had more leg room in frt seat and carried more. Both the backseats were comfortable. One drawback to a canoe is wind will sail you more if trying to fish along.

Next one I hope for a mad river canoe or a lighter old town series.

I'm looking mainly for a sit on top kayak, something to just take and have fun on the river or in the bay for a few hours. Not opposed to a canoe though.

I've rented a couple different ones, but the two Ocean Kayaks my uncle had seemed to be comfortable.

Check out "Texas Kayak Fisherman" .com I think is the address. Been along time since I posted there. They have alot of good info.
Wilderness Systems is a popular choice. Hell our Academy sporting goods even has Kayaks. I would image every coner store in FL is selling them too.
Check you local Craigslist I bet theres a bunch.

I have two 14 feet Wilderness Systems Kayaks. They are excellent recreational Kayaks for lakes and rivers. I've been in salt and fresh water, calm and rough seas, and they do just fine.

I stopped at a pretty good outdoor type store here in Tampa today... Bill Jackson's. They had a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 16' sit on top job that was really nice.

Check out "Texas Kayak Fisherman" .com I think is the address. Been along time since I posted there. They have alot of good info.
Wilderness Systems is a popular choice. Hell our Academy sporting goods even has Kayaks. I would image every coner store in FL is selling them too.
Check you local Craigslist I bet theres a bunch.

I never thought to check CL... there are a bunch of new and used kayaks listed, thanks.

This may be another black hole. I can't drive around with 10' of kayak sticking out the back of my truck so a rack is probably a good idea, but I can walk to the river from my house so that may not be a right away thing.

Back