• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another Engine Block heater question (yes i know its early)

DmaxHawk

YOU BOYS LIKE MEX-I-CO?!?!
Reaction score
Had a couple questions bout the block heater before the winter rolls in. Went back and did some searches. Found answers to some questions I had but didn't all of them.

I drive 23 miles from work to home and back. When I get home the engine is warm and the temps are not freezing. Is it safe to plug it in for the night or will something get damaged since its still warm?

Thanks in advance!

What temps do you see in the winter there? If it rarely gets below freezing, I wouldnt bother. I wouldnt even bother unless it got below zero. The winter cover is all I ever needed for the temps that I saw.

I'm relatively sure the ones with the thermostat in the cord won't kick in until it's below zero. If you have an 06, most of them do not have the thermostat and will turn on once it's plugged in. The late 06 and all 07+ trucks have the thermostat.

The owner's manual does say anything zero*F or below; if you plug it in above that temp, there's a chance it'll set the CEL because of some difference in coolant vs ambient temp which makes it freak out.

Leave it pluged in for 4 hours at a time. You should not set a CEL. My 06 does not have a t-stat. In the winter I plug in when I get home and leave it until morning. No problems at all whether below or above freezing. No warm up time, no strain on the electrical system from the intake heater, warm and toasty within a mile.
I am trying to find a heavy duty timer for mine this year so it will only run for the 4 hours before I leave for work.

Back