• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another Air Conditioning question

toddlnrd

My first diesel!
Reaction score
I tried to replace the receiver dryer this past weekend and could not get one of the nuts loosened (the one going to the firewall). I tried and tried until the aluminum line split. So now I need to replace that tube!:banghead:

What is the tube called that goes from the receiver dryer thru the firewall to the inside of truck.

What is it? Where can I get one? and How do I get to it to replace it?

Thanks,
Todd

I believe that would be the evaporator. That tube likely is part of the miniature radiator looking thing(evaporator) inside your dash. I would guess that you will likely have to pull your dash assembly containing that piece and change it out. Do a google search for ac system diagram, then you'll see a basic layout of how your ac works.

Have a look here :

SOURCE : LMC TRUCK.COM

http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/CD/full.aspx?Page=112

0112.jpg

Cu,
Sven

I havent had the pleasure yet of replacing an evaporator but hear its about a 10 or 12 hr job and you get to pull the dash out to do it.

I was thinking that when I was reading this earlier, but didn't know for sure. It's not a part that is pleasant to access. I tried to get to mine to clean it because it was caked with mud and I was barely able to touch the fins with a toothbrush.

There is (or used to be) a repair kit made by four seasons. You could actually cut the tube with a tubing cutter and then the repair slid over it with a compression fitting. It was for the side or tube that has the orifice in it. This was because alot of times the orifice tube would get jammed in. So if it's the tube that has the orifice then you may be in luck. I am sure four seasons still makes it. IIRC the repair comes with a new orifice in it.

that is correct, I fixed an older truck with a compression connector and length of hose made by a local hydraulic shop, as long as there is enough good tube to clamp onto. low side pressure normally runs 100-112 off and 38-50 psi running.

Back