• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aftermarket Cats

Cats flow quite well actually from all I've read and been told. I also hear the mufflers are more restrictive than cats.

Cats flow quite well actually from all I've read and been told. I also hear the mufflers are more restrictive than cats.

i've heard the same, but every time i brought it up, i got shot down. i know the exhaust gasses do some ****ed up rerouting inside the muffler and with the amount of exhaust these trucks move, it could cause a restriction real fast.... i saw a fairly noticable amount of pedal response simply by pulling the muffler out. now i just gotta do the cat so i got a true straight pipe... :D

that is true the mufflers have more baffles in them than a cat has screens or mesh. magnaflow cats are nice, expensive yes, but they are ideal if your running no muffler and still wanna keep the tone down, like Nick said some people like it mellow, especially when theya re towing over long distances.

The muffler shop in town here told me that the cats do flow pretty good.But they also showed me that the restriction is at the inlet to the cat, it is reduced down to about 3''. They want to cut the front off and open it up to 3-1/2" or 4''. Seems like it would work but its cheaper to get a non-cat front pipe...

Let me preface this with, I have always been one of those guys who rolled his eyes when someone said they did something simple to their vehicle and it made a huge difference. I guess you could call me "Doubting Thomas". :yesnod:

However, after I was done modifying my truck with the dual exhaust and Diablo programmer, I replaced the cat with a straight pipe and holy crap - what a difference. It's probably a case of the mods all working together, and just replacing the cat w/o the other stuff might not mean much. :smilewinkgrin:

4" in and 4" out magnaflow catwould not be 800 bucks. I sell them to the local Ford garage for half that. They have 3.5", 4", and 5". Its still alot of money, but to buy a new factory cat is rediculous!

Back