• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Advice needed on 2006-2007 4.3L v-6 5spd 2wd RC LB

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at a total of three trucks, a 2006 chevy w/ 27K in Neb and 2 2007 GMCs in Utah w/ 40K - 42K

All are RC LB Gloss white work trucks with 4.3L v-6 5spd manual and 2wd.

Is there a year benefit between the two? is there any problems i should watch for? do both have traction control, or is that an option? (i hate Traction control) If all have traction control, how far back in years would in need to go to get away from traction control. OR is traction control disabled? basically farm use w/ a 2wd will SUCK w/ traction control.

Also, where do you think rust would be worse, Salt lake city, or Central Nebraska?

All are around $9,500

Any advice appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
IIRC you can turn on/off traction control. My dad has an '06 1500 5.3 2wd w/ traction control and I'm pretty sure there's a button he can push to turn it off. He was a tad upset after getting the truck because he thought traction control ment locking differential.

If there's no button, I'm willing to bet a properly pulled fuse would turn it off as well :D

Not much difference between the two (unless the '07 is the latest body style). Just cosmetic stuff.

No experience with Nebraska, but SLC does salt roads in the winter. You're talking about a truck less than 2 years old though, rusting shouldn't be much of an issue. It would just be surface at this point that you could easily take care of.

I am looking at a total of three trucks, a 2006 chevy w/ 27K in Neb and 2 2007 GMCs in Utah w/ 40K - 42K

All are RC LB Gloss white work trucks with 4.3L v-6 5spd manual and 2wd.

Is there a year benefit between the two? is there any problems i should watch for? do both have traction control, or is that an option? (i hate Traction control) If all have traction control, how far back in years would in need to go to get away from traction control. OR is traction control disabled? basically farm use w/ a 2wd will SUCK w/ traction control.

Also, where do you think rust would be worse, Salt lake city, or Central Nebraska?

All are around $9,500

Any advice appreciated, thank you!

The rust will be worse in SLC, due to the salted roads and the saltier environment, period. I have no idea on the traction control, I've never dealt with in on anything except my SSEi

I like the looks of GMCs better, but the 06 chevy front is nice too.

The GMCs are matched, and the bodies are perfect. one has older rear wheels, but i will upgrade to alum soon.

The Chevy has around 26K for mileage, so it is 15K lower. the rear bumper and the tailgate are slightly beat up, as is the rear right corner of the bed. not much of a problem, since i might upgrade to a custom built aluminum flatbed. only concern is if the lower panels are sandblasted on the Nebraska chevy.

the GMCs have contractor shells on them, so surely just highway driving, and the paint should be fine.

If traction control is easily disabled, than both are to be considered.

other year questions, as a 2005 popped up too.

1) when was the last year for easily changed fuel filters? (frame mounted)

2) when was the last year for cabin air filters?

3) any good/bad powertrain differences between all years?

any replies appreciated, thanks!

i can answer the cabin air filter with about 75% confidence, i believe it was 2002. i am almost 100% positive an 05 would not have one unless there was a custom install done.

OK, thanks. i don't care for the pre 03 chevy grille, so the cabin filter is out of the question. ):h naroows the search better. :hurray:

Now the next pending issue is when did they drop the framerail filter, and have it in tank?

Now the discussion needs to include a new grille 2003 Chevy w/ identical specs as others.

being older, would this even have traction control? would it have a frame mount fuel filter?

I believe 03 was the last frame mounted filter, guy i kno has a 04 avalanche and it doesn't have it. Our 02 Suburban does, so it is either 03 or 04

Well, the 2003 Chevy looks to be more suited for me. 3.42s vs 3.23 gears, replaceable fuel filter, etc. cheaper too. and 16" tires, all and all, it will suit me better, but i am still going to consider the rest, especially if this one is sold soon!

Well, the 2003 Chevy looks to be more suited for me. 3.42s vs 3.23 gears, replaceable fuel filter, etc. cheaper too. and 16" tires, all and all, it will suit me better, but i am still going to consider the rest, especially if this one is sold soon!
wow, those are tiny tires!! LOL

If the truck has dual climate control then there is no cabin air filter. That's when the change occurred.

Pretty sure 03 has external fuel filter.

Traction control....not 100% sure on that. My 2000 Impala has traction control along with a button on the dash to turn it off. The only time I find it being a problem is climbing a hill that has a lot of slush on the highway. The slight hydroplaning that occurs makes the system kick on when what really needs to happen is the "floating" tire needs to spin a little to gain traction again. I just turn it off at those times. Other than that I've never had the system kick on.

I found out that it does not have air conditioning. oh my old man would be pleased):h He seems to hate anything that makes something more complicated.

I personally would like to have ac, and just use it sparingly, rather than no ac.

You sure?? We get the work truck package on our trucks and they all have ac. I didn't think it was possible not to get ac.

I just had a guy yesterday pull up to my passenger side and wanted to talk. He was amazed that I had to reach over and roll the window down. Told him not all cops get the police package, power locks and windows......but at least I got an FM radio and ac :D

I think it comes standard, and you can order a delete for credit. i ran the VIN and under warranty service it says replaced cable, non-ac.

Back