• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Adding OE Brake Controller to an '11 Burb?

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
So last week we bought a 2011 Suburban Z71, and it didn't come with a brake controller. Do all of these trucks now have the modular harnesses that we can just get the controller and trim panel and add it w/o wiring? I'd much prefer the OE controller over an aftermarket, as it looks cleaner, you control it through the DIC, and it's in a much better spot than where you'd mount anything else.

Anyone?? The dealer was going to look into it for us, I may call them and see if he looked at anything.

That was on the older ones (or at least not this one) RI Silveradoman (don't know your first name). The new ones with the towing package have an OE built in controller that you can adjust through the DIC. The first one I drove had that, and it was pretty slick just looking at it w/o actually having a trailer hooked up. That's what I want to use, as it's by your left knee just under the lights and 4x4 actuator, vs way down by my right shin on the Duramax.

LMK what you guys find, Devin. I'll be sure to post if I discover anything, or get brave and look, LOL.

Interesting. If it comes from factory, then you should be able to just buy the brake unit and plug and play. GM usually only provides one wiring harness per vehicle. The wiring should be there.

One thing I read did say that there should be a bundle of wire up under the dash for just such a thing. It's no longer the separate pigtail that they included with GMT-800 trucks to wire in an aftermarket controller.

#PIT4729B: Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1 - keywords connector electric hydraulic ITBC tow towing wire wiring - (Jun 17, 2010)

Subject: Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1

Models: 2007-2011 Chevrolet Silverado

2009-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2011 GMC Sierra

2009-2011 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT4729A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may request the factory Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (RPO JL1) be installed on their Full Size pickup/utility when the vehicle was not ordered with the option.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This is to advise you that if the vehicle does not have the option (RPO JL1) it cannot be added to the vehicle.

Note: Bulletin 06-08-45-008C or later advises how to install an aftermarket trailer brake controller.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

So that's a no, lol. Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'll be getting a P3 and installing that nicely.

can't be done, it goes into the main harness and the abs,bcm,ecm,it can't be added,,,theres a 4 wire harness just under the gauges and thats how you add an aftermarket brake controler on

Pretty surprising that it's not a quick add on. I figure Ed wanted it up in the dash since IIRC he's got knees about waist high on me...:hihi:
A new Prodigy should do the job though.

Back