• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

adding front wheels to rotary mower

nosliw

Recruit
Reaction score
i have a JD 990 and a Woods BB72 (single rear wheel) rotary mower. it's a bit of a pain to mow my field (20acre) because there's a lot of uneven ground and articulation.

if i don't keep my hand on the rockshaft constantly adjusting the height i'd be scalping in turns and shaving the earth.

a friend recommended adding front castor wheels to my mower, so it sits at the right height on its own, like his bushhog.

is this a good idea? if i just put the 3pt all the way down, it would float pretty freely to adjust to the terrain, right?

any input it appreciated.

thanks guys

if there's any question about the frame geometry or anything just ask and i'll run out and snap a picture.

Sounds like it could work. I would but stationary flotation tires sound like they may be a little better than casters, especially since the rear is already a caster. JUST MY .2

Sounds like it could work. I would but stationary flotation tires sound like they may be a little better than casters, especially since the rear is already a caster. JUST MY .2

something to consider definitely. having a hard time finding a 'kit'. suggestions?

Sounds like it would be ok, should atleast help. a pic couldnt hurt though.
I scalp with my 16 foot Landpride and it has 12 wheels... (when it high centers)

http://dieseltowingresource.com/showpost.php?p=16854&postcount=81

that's a neat mower! how many PTO HP does it need?

Ya you might have to make something instead of buying a kit. My dad has a rear fiishing mower and the front wheels are just mounted by 2 peaces of 2 inch 1/4 steel metal that are welded to the mower deck. Depnding on what your doing you might want to look into a filled tire so it doesnt constantly go flat. :nonod:

that's a neat mower! how many PTO HP does it need?

Well they say 40-70 horse tractors, but the 43 horse 5200 struggles on large hills and anything very tall... but I cut over 500 acres a week with it and it dose alright

WOW!! I thought i was tired of mowing!!!!

How about it!!! Sheesh... That's a tad too much seat time for me:wink5:

I think I'd want to get those anti scalp wheels mounted as close to the deck corners as possible or when you dig one in it'll tear open the housing up there not to mention wrecking your new wheel and mount.
You could just fashion some skids to the front corners instead.

Back