• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Adding a Fuel Prefilter System on a 2012 LML

azimuth551

Reaction score
I need some advice from the experts here. I have a new 2500 Duramax LML and I was wondering about adding an aftermarket fuel filtering system to it for better filtration. I have asked the dealer and a shop that works on diesels and they both said to run it stock. Am I getting blown off here so they can have my business at 100K when I have to replace my injectors and pump? I know Nicktane has the OEM Adapter to put a CAT filter on in place of the stock unit. Or they sell a remote filtering kit. Then there is the Airdog that could be installed.
First off, is the new OEM filter sufficient unlike the previous models?
I there a chance of messing up the pump if I run one of these filter systems?
Would I need a lift pump if I installed a remote filtering systems and keep the stock OEM one?
Is it better to install the Airdog and will this get me the proper filtering to protect the pump and injectors?
Lastly, will any of this mess with the GMC warranty?
I do not plan on hot-roding the truck and I will keep it stock.

Thanks,

Brent

We've run nothing but stock filters on our 05 since new, and have 97k on it with no issues. I also run Power Service regularly. Just FWIW.

First off, Brent - Welcome to our forum! :welcome2: We are truly a diesel site that is run by diesel enthusiasts for diesel enthusiasts. :thumbsup:

I have both Nicktane setups, on front and rear on my 2006. I have photos posted in the maintenance section.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?35899-2012-Maintenance-Day
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?23351-General-Maintenance-Day [I added the front nicktane OEM replacement here]

I currently use the CAT 1R049 tall can in the back, and the 1R0750 short can in the front. Both supposedly are 2 micron filters. I also use fuel supplement in every tank of fuel since new. I have not had any issues at all, fuel related. I change the rear filter every year, and the front, every other year. The CP3 fuel pump on our trucks is more of a puller, so you really don't need a lift pump. I ran my rear setup for a few years, and then I decided to get a lift pump and the front setup. I really can't notice any difference in power or performance, but it makes filter changes a lot easier, as it primes the cans without using the filter pump, and I feel much better about the filtration. :D I use a dual Kennedy lift pump setup. I do not have any experience with the Airdog.

The spin on cans/filters are also much easier to change. I believe the stock OEM fuel filter is rated for about 10 microns.

As far as warranty goes, I am sure that GM will not like it, but better filtration is worth it. It will save you in the long run. Your call.

I need some advice from the experts here. I have a new 2500 Duramax LML and I was wondering about adding an aftermarket fuel filtering system to it for better filtration. I have asked the dealer and a shop that works on diesels and they both said to run it stock. Am I getting blown off here so they can have my business at 100K when I have to replace my injectors and pump? I know Nicktane has the OEM Adapter to put a CAT filter on in place of the stock unit. Or they sell a remote filtering kit. Then there is the Airdog that could be installed.
First off, is the new OEM filter sufficient unlike the previous models?
I there a chance of messing up the pump if I run one of these filter systems?
Would I need a lift pump if I installed a remote filtering systems and keep the stock OEM one?
Is it better to install the Airdog and will this get me the proper filtering to protect the pump and injectors?
Lastly, will any of this mess with the GMC warranty?
I do not plan on hot-roding the truck and I will keep it stock.

Thanks,

Brent

Well for starters my first question would be how long you plan on keeping this truck. If you think you are going to have this thing beyond the warranty period than I would say yes. If not, it may not necessarily be worth it, as the OEM goes through a great deal of trouble to make sure there stuff makes it through the warranty period. After that, well, "its not our problem."

Nothing wrong with adding some additional downstream fuel filtration, but it seems like the OEM spin on filters work decently well. The way I see it, the cleaner the fuel is, the less damage it does to your expensive fuel system components. The tolerances used on these new HPCR fuel systems are so tight, that holding some of the parts / pieces in your hand transfers enough heat to make them expand enough that they will not go back together. A piece of bacteria is approximately 2 microns (0.000078740") in diameter. And several of the tolerances used in things such as piston to bore clearance in common rail High pressure fuel pumps or injector nozzles are even tighter than that. That's just the way I look at it.

And like RI Chevy Silverado man said, :welcome3:

Thanks for the detailed advice and this is exactly what I have been trying to get. Not sure why an independent shop would not be straight up with me on the issue. I can't imagine adding a Cat pre-filter would be bad for the injectors either. I spent way to much money on this damn Denali, and I plan on keeping it! I take very good care of all my equipment, two motorcycles and a Tahoe. Maybe the best way to go is install the CAT pre-filter and keep the OEM set up at the engine. If I don't need a lift pump this is the best instillation for me. I'm also interested in the By-pass oil filter unit from Amsoil, but I can wait for that.
Thank you both for responding to my question.

Brent

I have the FS2500 bypass filter setup, and I like it. If I had to do it over again, I would look into the oil centrifuge kits. The centrifuge kits save on buying the specialty filters from the different makers. That is my only gripe about the FS2500. You have to buy their filters. They are good quality, don't get me wrong, but a little pricey. I buy in bulk to save a little. I am very happy with the filtration.

The only reason I'd be hesitant to do so is because GM as a warranty company is looking for any and every excuse to deny your warranty. There is plenty of dealers willing to look the other way on stuff like this but then there is some that will flat refuse to do anything under warranty. It is always on them to prove that your device has caused the issues as they present themselves in the future but are you willing to absorb the cost to fight that.

Now as a tech at a dealer, I have seen very few engine issues to date with these trucks. If it was me I would put a pre filter set up on the frame rail under the truck, out of sight out of mind and your not replacing the stock filter setup.

Well said above. If I where in your position, I would go to your GMC dealer and speak to them (particularly the service writer / manager) and talk to them about if adding an additional fuel filter in series to your fuel system (such as a nice big CAT, or Cummins FLEETGUARD fuel / water separator). Ask if doing so will affect your warranty in any way at all. If they say it won't, than have them give it to you in writing with there signature and date on the document. If they tell you it will affect your warranty, than find another dealership.

The Nicktane kits are real nice, or if you have some basic fabrication skills, you can piece together your own.

Back