• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'93 engine code question

bubbatexas

Reaction score
On my '93 C3500 the valve cover decal says the engine code is RKJ and it states the est. horsepower as 200. Does anyone have any info on this engine, such as the differences between a "F" code engine and mine. It also seems to be a little louder than any other 6.5 I have ever heard, however it does have 360,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any info.

Hiya Bubba... welcome to the site. This is THE place for 6.5TD stuff...

How about you take a minute to fill out your signature (click the link in mine and it will take you there) so we can all see that you're driving.

Jim

That means it has a F intake which is a good thing. The truck should have somewhere between 180 and 185 horsepower at least that is what my 93 says it has on the decals.

All oem 3500's are 'F' engines - at 360000 oem miles, yer in dire need of timing chainset, injector pump, and injectors, all sources of increased noise - properly done, the change in response and driveability will be startling - timing chainset should be done while doing waterpump, and doing IP is easier at that time, also

Replacement IP will be DB2-831-4911, just like on your oem label - timing will be: match crank and cam sprocket marks - rotate crank 360*, which rotates cam 180* as required to match IP and cam gear marks

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. The injection pump and injectors were replaced less than 100,000 miles ago. I will have to look into the timing chain before I put the new waterpump on (still waiting on some parts). I'll post a pic of the valve cover decal as soon as I can.

That means it has a F intake which is a good thing. The truck should have somewhere between 180 and 185 horsepower at least that is what my 93 says it has on the decals.

I've got a '93 as well, the 185HP mark is the S vin. My 93 FSM says the F vin is 210HP.
Don

Last edited:
Kewl, i'll get one of my valve cover tag and the FSM specs & post those. There may have been different numbers for Fed, CA..etc. I know mine has the original engine, last 6 or 7 digits match the vin.
Don

Due to my ever-present bouts with dufus, I've edited my post^ to reflect correct data - re-read it for the truth of the matter..........................

Back