• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

9.25 ifs axle shaft

ShawnR

Reaction score
This is more of an informational post instead of a question.

I snapped my CV joint a couple of weeks back (passenger side) and went about replacing it. Popped off the tie rod end and the sway bar end link and replacing the halfshaft itself wasn't really a big job. I ended up cutting the sway bar link to save time.

I put everything back together and went to bolt up the flange on the halfshaft to the flange on the axle shaft. Then I noticed that the axle shaft would slide out of the front diff several inches :nonod:.

Inside of the differential, there is a "thrust washer" that the snap ring is supposed to ride against to prevent the axle shaft from sliding out. My thrust washer was bent into a cone shape. I assume the stress from snapping the CV joint just pulled the shaft through the washer.

I ordered a new washer from GM (Part # 25931932) and when I got it, I found it to be MUCH thinker than the washer that I removed. The new washer was probably close to 1/8" thick where the old one was probably as thin as a dime. I don't know if it is original, or what, but it was certainly not heavy duty enough. I also replaced the axle shaft seal on the right side (Napa / SKF 16116).

I'm just hoping that this might help someone out in the future.

I am going to try to attach a PDF that was quite helpful in figuring everything out.
View attachment 2009-05-01_145500_Front_Axle_4wd.pdf

Last edited:
Back