• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'81 gasser to diesel

Matt C

Recruit
Reaction score
Whatsup guys. I have the chance to buy a 1981 K20 with 350 and a SM465. My grandpa bought this truck brand new. The 350 runs but not well. I'm thinking I wanna drop a 6.2 in it but i've got some questions. This truck got a brand new radiator a few years ago, but it's not the big 4 core like 6.2's have. Will the smaller radiator keep the 6.2 cool enough? I don't plan on working it real hard so I would think it would but i'm not sure. I found a motor at the junkyard but I'm not sure if it's still in the truck with all the accessories on it. I know I'll need the hydroboost system to make the brakes work, the glow plug system doesn't bother me, i'll just use a relay and a push button. Use the hot wire to the distributor to run the fuel shut off on the IP. Maybe you guys can help me out with any other things I'm missing here. Should be a fun truck when i'm done with it, i'm in minnesota so the body has rust but it's not terrible, better shape then my '83. Only gotta give $1,000 bucks for the truck. Some ideas would be great, thanks.

Keep in mind that you will need a bell housing from a diesel, a diesel flywheel and clutch and I would recommend a diesel radiator and you will also need the oil cooler lines that go to the radiator. Easy swap other than this.

Back