• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

700r4 shifting problems

Chevy1231

Reaction score
I rebuilt my 700r4 and then had problems with the case and a very late and hard 1-2 shift and once it shifted it would take off in 2nd but once you kicked it down it would go back to first and then have a late 1-2 shift again so i took it all apart and put everything in a newer case and while i was looking at the valve body i noticed the tv valve was sticking so I took it out and worked it and got the hard spot out of it and now it moves freely. Well once I got it all together and put it in the truck it had no reverse and was stuck in gear and was trying to go into 2 gears at once until you brought the shifter down to first then it was in first and it would move. So I fixed the old case and put everything back in it and now it shifts through all the gears but the 1-2 shift is very soft and early. It shifts just about as soon as you get rolling. When you take off at WOT it stays in first like it should but when it shifts its very sluggish and acts like it slips between gears. All of the other shifts are firm but kind of late. It also has a new band in it....could the accumulator springs do this? I might have put them in backwards if it makes a difference.

Sorry about the long post just trying to be as clear as I can and describe what it is doing.

Make sure the TV valve cable is hooked up and adjusted properly.

Springs do need to be in the correct spot, yes.

Use the governor for the original trans/gearing/vehicle.. Governor and TV valve work in unison.

Make sure the TV valve cable is hooked up and adjusted properly.

Springs do need to be in the correct spot, yes.

Use the governor for the original trans/gearing/vehicle.. Governor and TV valve work in unison.

The tv cable is set for full pull at WOT. As for the governor I might of got it mixed up with some other ones that I have out off the 700s. Is there a way to tell a diesel governor from a gas? They all looked the same when they were sitting by each other.

Diesel governors have heavier weights. Usually they lack the hole in the outer weight as shown below.

DSC00057.jpg

About the TV cable. Its not just about the cable being at full pull at full throttle, that's OK for transmissions that use the cable or a rod for just for kick down. But with the 700r4 (and th200r4) use the cable to control the line pressure and therefore the part throttle shift pressures and points. The angle of the lever the TV cable is on relative to the throttle position is critical. If you have all original linkage that is for a 700R4 and not for a turbo400 then you are OK and your problem lies elsewhere. BTW the governor is mostly about the WOT up shift points. An incorrectly adjusted or wrong throttle / cable motion will burn up a 700R4 fast.

About the TV cable. Its not just about the cable being at full pull at full throttle, that's OK for transmissions that use the cable or a rod for just for kick down. But with the 700r4 (and th200r4) use the cable to control the line pressure and therefore the part throttle shift pressures and points. The angle of the lever the TV cable is on relative to the throttle position is critical. If you have all original linkage that is for a 700R4 and not for a turbo400 then you are OK and your problem lies elsewhere. BTW the governor is mostly about the WOT up shift points. An incorrectly adjusted or wrong throttle / cable motion will burn up a 700R4 fast.

700r4 is came stock not a turbo 400 so it's all set up for the 700r4

Assuming its all connected up correctly you are all good there. BTW a T400 is electric kick down and vacuum modulated. There would be a vac valve on the IP to send a signal to the vac modulator proportional to the throttle position. Like my Olds diesel with the TH350C does. Those vacuum valves are made of unobtainium. :hihi:

I agree with all the above, however the governor will drastically affect part throttle shifts too. Like mentioned earlier, the throttle valve and governor work in unison.. Think of it as a hydraulic shoving match.. ;)

I agree with all the above, however the governor will drastically affect part throttle shifts too. Like mentioned earlier, the throttle valve and governor work in unison.. Think of it as a hydraulic shoving match.. ;)
Indeed, just more detail than I thought he needed at the moment. I Have a TH200-4R I am thinking about turning into a diesel trans. GM put them into 350 diesels but I would play hell finding one of them, or a governor out of one. So I will have to make one :)

Back