• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

700r4 problem

BudTX

Edjumacated Redneck
Reaction score
My son just called and said that our '83 K20 will rev high in first gear, and then slam into gear when it finally does shift.

I told him to limp it home until I can drive it and get a better feel for what is going on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look first?

Thanks,

Bud

Currently having a similar problem in my 92. If its the same as mine then there are some metal shavings causing some internals to stick. Id rather buy a built allison instead of messin with the old 92 so the quick fix for me was to push the throttle to the floor a couple times while the truck is off. Of course it doesnt fix the problem its just a band aid. Im told a rebuild will be my next step so eventually ill have to put down some money on it. However Ive been using that technique for the last thousand miles or so with no issues other than having to shut the truck off and then pumping the throttle. Hope this helps.

Check the TV kickdown cable on the side of the carb. I had the same thing happen on my '84 K-5. I replaced the manifold and carb and rigged the cable. I was not adjusted right and eventually ate the tranny. I ended up replacing the 700 with a kitted 350 and I think to this day, the truck is still running and the same trans.

Then again..I could be wrong.

Back