• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

618 - 47Rx to 48Rx

gmctd

Diesels, Anonymous
Reaction score
In this thread I will detail the cleanup, teardown, disassembly, and rebuild of a '96 47RE to 48RE specs, using upgraded 48RE mechanicals - the designated victim is on it's way, even as we type: a '96 47RE that broke at 90kmi behind a hi-output 12v Cummins CTD built for pulling - it is the 4wd model

The rebuild to 48RE specs will be using the PATC Ramzilla kit with a 'billet' triple-disc torque convertor

This will include a billet one-piece input shaft\hub, billet intermediate shaft, billet output shaft;
Alto Red Eagle master rebuild kit plus 2 extra clutches and 2 extra steels,
rigid Carbon intermediate band,
Fairbanks TransAction kit,
5 clutch direct drum,
performance 3-4 accumulator spring,
heavy duty low\reverse servo,
heavy duty no leak intermediate servo cover,
5 to 1 ratio intermediate servo band lever (actual ratio to be determined),
full time torque converter fluid feed valve,
Mega Spring for more holding power in 1st - 2nd and 3rd,
heavy duty intermediate band apply strut.

Plus the following Extreme Duty and 48RE parts,
all three 6 pinion planet gears,
sun gear and shell,
front and rear ring gear,
shell race,
front planet sleeve,
3 thrust washers,
overdrive backing plate,
forward clutch backing plate,
overdrive brake backing plate,
300M input shaft,
1 extra overdrive brake clutch and steel and 23 overdrive single sided clutches.

Can't wait to see what broke and what survived - if the case is undamaged, we're good to go.................

Last edited:
PUCKEDUP001.jpg

PUCKEDUP002.jpg

PUCKEDUP003.jpg

PUCKEDUP004.jpg

PUCKEDUP009.jpg

PUCKEDUP010.jpg

PUCKEDUP007.jpg

PUCKEDUP006.jpg

PUCKEDUP008.jpg

Last edited:
Just installed the TRANSGO 48RFE shift kit in #2 son's '06 BigHorn Ram 2500 - folks, it ain't easy like a GM trans - I never saw so many trinkets, doodads, jimcracks, thingamajigs and dinwhiddies - shoulda done my 47RH first as prep for that bad boy (so as not to look bad in front of my kid, which I did!) - but, all's well that ends well, and I'm really satisfied with the upgraded shifting response and firmess - next: a lower-stall hd tcc, then SUPERCHIPS reflash - then on to the 47R rebuild as an option for my truck

jd, nice pic`s they make me feel good and warm from that that sunny day, thinking about the TRANsGO myself , looks, ok easy on their video.??? comment.:smile5:

Sorry 'bout the delayed response, but, yeah, the video should make things go easier - also, the GM boxes are easier than the Dodge, with it's multi-piece valve-body

Back