• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6 speed alli breaking point

big block 88

Big Block 88
Reaction score
So I just bought a 07 LBZ classic and I am getting ready to turn up the wick, with EFI Live how much power can she handle before I cook it. I know every tranny is different and takes a different amount of punishment but the ford boys are sayin they are taken 550hp before the tranny starts talkin back and we all know the Alli is way stouter than that ford piece:confused5. Can I get away with a 500 horse tune. Will I need a transgo JR. and how much do they cost and do they help that much.:confused5:

550 seems a tad high..... :D

i know the 5 spd alli will take ~100 over stock before things start goin south. a lot of this depends on driving habits and how hard you beat on it. as for the 6 spd, its beefier than the 5 spd but it also backs up a more powerful motor. with that in mind, i'd think that ~100 over would be a safe bet for that trans also....

the reason the ford boys feed you that line is that, to my knowledge, they dont have a limp mode on their trans. an allison will limp at higher power levels to save whats left of the trans to get you back to where you need. ford tranny's pretty much go boom with no warning, save for a some slippage or overheating. that's the kinda shit that will leave you sittin on the side of the road waiting for a tow.....

Good Question! :thumbsup:

I agree with whitetrash21 ^^^^^ From what I can see the 5 speeds will almost definatly go if you do anything over a 90HP plus tune. Id say with the Transgo Jr on the 6 speed it would hold a 160 tune. :cool:

It also depends 100% on how you drive it with whatever tune you're running.

...just food for thought.

The Ford tranny will handle quite a bit of power actually.Lots of stock Torqueshifts running low to mid twelves around.
Not sure how much the newer Allys handle.Somewhere around 100 - 125 extra hp would be my guess.It's the extra torque that kills em' anyways!

Well I am 21 years old and I hate mustangs that is how hard I will be driveing it.

If all you wanna do is beat up mustangs all you gotta do is nothing, you may be able to detune it! I run my predator on 85 hp and have had no problems with it. I have also run it on 120, but not for long a week or so. I have consistently heard the 100 hp at the wheels limit.

So I can pretty much do a 500 horse tune and it should survive for a little while, it won't alway be on that tune but when I home on leave you bet you arse it will be juiced as much as possible. And we actually have some fast older 5.0 mustangs runnin around town. And anytime I am at a light if it isn't a general motors next to me I will run it.

put it this way..... my lb7 has a quadzilla race programmer on it. i cant turn it up past 110 or it'll limp. however, on the 110 tune, with the truck weighing in ~7500-8000 lbs, i lost to a brand new 08 gt mustang by 1 car length!! that's a stock trans, 245 tires, a very traction limited launch (read: tire smoke through most of the first three gears), lumber rack and ~2000 lbs of tools in the bed (about 1/2 my normal load) .....

i think you're lbz stock AND empty will not have a problem dustin off a few mustangs and ls cars...... :D especially if you got 4wd..... makes a hell of a difference

I do have 4 wheel drive but I will leave the LS cars alone they are way to scary, they are as close to a big diesel motors as a gas engine can get, it doesn't take much to make them scream, shove a little more air and fuel in them and bam 70 more horse power. But with fords 4.6 the ods are good that he will blow the driver side head off and I will be in the clear. How much is a transgo Jr? And can I install it or does a shop have to do it? Can't the Efi Live do some tinkering with it too? Or does it just deal with the engine controls.

Last year I tried a dyno and it claimed 345hp and 762ft lbs of torque. Not sure how accurate it was but the truck was running 9.08 in the 1/8. The following monday the tranny left me on the side of the road.
Got the tranny built and am now @ 8.6 with a hotter tune and more to go. :)
Best thing to do is start savin now for the tranny job then just have it built once it dies or you save enough. :D

Well I can do the tranny now my the price isn't really a problem, it's the fact that I am over seas and only home for a few days every few months so I don't have time to take it to get the tranny done, I am just after a liitle fun while I am home and I am ordering EFI here soon and I want to get a rough Idea how big of a tune I can safely go with. Also who sells EFI Live I need to find a dealer, I am in the midwest and I am beting that there isn't anyone at home who sells it. If you know anyone who has it let me know, we will be doing 2 truck an 03 LB7 and my LBZ.

Why not try some of the vendors here? They're paying to keep this site running free for all of us...

The Ford tranny will handle quite a bit of power actually.Lots of stock Torqueshifts running low to mid twelves around.
Not sure how much the newer Allys handle.Somewhere around 100 - 125 extra hp would be my guess.It's the extra torque that kills em' anyways!

low 12's? I dont think so. HIGH 12's, yes there are a few.

stock allison will handle barely 100hp before you start limping it and burning it up/.

I agree, 100 hp and you are sitting in my shoes with a burnt tranny waiting for an upgrade. Granted, it does have 38K miles while on the programmer. Add anything to the lbz tuning and it is just a matter of time. That ticking ain't just the engine......

Back