• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5td pouring out black smoke

98chevylover

Reaction score
Hello fellow truck stop members! I have a 98 GMC Sierra trk with a egr engine,2 wheel dr , standard cab that runs perfect. and a 98 Chevy cheyenne with a knock, non egr motor, 4 wheel drive, extended cab. Both have 90 something thousand MLS. County vehicles. I had someone take the motor out of the GMC and put it in the Chevy. For reasons unknown, the GMC wiring harness was also put in the Chevy. The vehicle starts and runs great but upon acceleration it pours out black smoke, doesn't have any power. If I hold it down, I can hear the turbo kick in and it starts to pull somewhat strong. I checked the vaccuum to the turbo and the lever goes up and down when connected and disconnected. Can anyone please help me?

1. Check the air filter
2. At idle you shouldn't be able to move the waste gate. If you can you need to check out the vacuum system.
3. Not likely from what you've described but try a different PMD

I can't move the wastegate at idle, air filter is good, the pmd has been bulletproof and is mounted on the fender. It is very loosely mounted. I don't know if its ground sensitive but when I get home I will tighten it. I had someone question the computers with one being a non egr moter

the pmd has been bulletproof and is mounted on the fender. It is very loosely mounted. I don't know if its ground sensitive but when I get home I will tighten it.

The biggest reason to keep the PMD mounted tight is that it needs to transfer heat to keep from frying itself (it gets very hot if left hanging in free air) so you want it mounted tightly to a good heat sink.

Hello everyone, thanks for your help. Come to find out that the computer would not recognize the egr. I had to tag the intake and plenum off the old engine and put it on the new one. Problem solved! Trid to just change computers but the truck wouldn't even start. Thanks everyone

Back