• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 or 8.2

Here's some pictures of the 6v92 we had to rebuild in coast guard machinery technician school.

DSCI0541.jpg

DSCI0548.jpg

DSCI0545.jpg

DSCI0538.jpg

DSCI0549.jpg

Personally out of the bunch I always liked the sound of the 6-110 and as a unit in general. Even worked on a pair that had the earlier centrifugal blower.

Cheers
Nobby

Nice pics. For those not familiar with real Detroit 2 strokes notice in the second pic, center jug the holes in the cyl. That is how the air enters the cyl as the engine has no intake valves. It's called crankcase scavenging. The air is forced through the holes by the blower and then compressed on the upstroke. The injs(not shown) are camshaft operated as are the 4 ex valves per cyl. There is no central INJ pump. timing is done at the inj with special tool. IMHO the original common rail...:D

Sorry Kenny, hate to be a PIA diesel geek but it's not Crankcase Scavenging, there is no air admittance/charging via the crankcase. I would say that technically they are Uniflow Scavenging. Other than that though your description is good.

Cheers
Nobby

Nice pics. For those not familiar with real Detroit 2 strokes notice in the second pic, center jug the holes in the cyl. That is how the air enters the cyl as the engine has no intake valves. It's called crankcase scavenging. The air is forced through the holes by the blower and then compressed on the upstroke. The injs(not shown) are camshaft operated as are the 4 ex valves per cyl. There is no central INJ pump. timing is done at the inj with special tool. IMHO the original common rail...:D

When we were working on these I was thinking the same thing. Reading about the new pickups and this new common rail fuel system seemed a lot like this old technology we were working on.

The 2 stroke diesel was new to me, there is a turbo that forces air into blower and the blower keeps presser in the intake. The piston comes down while burning fuel and now if full of exhaust. When the piston gets down to the ports in the cylinder sleeve the exhaust valves open forcing fresh air into the cylinder and the exhaust and I would imagine air get blow into the exhaust manifold. Now the cylinder if full of air and the piston can come up and do it all over again.

I guess the basic idea is to eliminate the exhaust stroke.

Those detroits are used in the 47ft motor life boat.
[video=youtube;O_Ot9A-8Qm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Ot9A-8Qm0[/video]

That is what my Jimmy had. 6v92T silver series. Alot of people knocked them but mine ran great. Like all Detroits it needed a depends as it left it's mark everywhere....:D

This guy is from Oz and claims to have an 8-92 that's putting out 520hp. I read what injectors he was running in one of the comments. http://www.youtube.com/user/swishyhasbeen

Yea, that isn't hard to believe.....

Our Heavy Equipment Transporters have electronically controlled 8V92's in them that are rated at 500 HP from the factory. They aren't "maxed out" programming or injector size wise either, so more power wouldn't be difficult.

Problem with those Old 2 strokes was they had no low end torque so you needed a driver that knew how to driv eone. You didn't dare stop at a light on a hill with 40 ton on your back or you'd twist the driveshaft right out. Nope had to time your lights well and walk it...

Problem with those Old 2 strokes was they had no low end torque so you needed a driver that knew how to driv eone. You didn't dare stop at a light on a hill with 40 ton on your back or you'd twist the driveshaft right out. Nope had to time your lights well and walk it...

All the torque probably got sucked up by driving that huge blower.

All the torque probably got sucked up by driving that huge blower.
Na, its like any two stroke engine (Dirt bikes) they don't make any power at the bottom end you have to keep them wound up to be in the power band. Sure the blower would suck up about 20% of the power at the top end.

Some four stoke diesels are the same way M11 Cummaparts 4 ex. Found out the hard way with my uncles truck pulling a rig pump and tank for his service rig on soft dirt roads. I was mistakenly under the impression that you could lug all 4 stroke in-lines' a little. The mechanic told me with no pyrometer (which should be a standard in all trucks) too keep it above 1500 on the M11's, and I was waiting until 1300-1400 before I'd down shift.

I've been told that the detroit 2 strokes when properly set up can handle 5000 rpm also, the 8-71 on the rig regularly sings to 3200 when tripping out tubing. I would like to have 4-53 in my truck with the jakes singing from 5,000. That would piss off a few PITA neighbor's.

Last edited:
Na, its like any two stroke engine (Dirt bikes) they don't make any power at the bottom end you have to keep them wound up to be in the power band. Sure the blower would suck up about 20% of the power at the top end.

Some four stoke diesels are the same way M11 Cummaparts 4 ex. Found out the hard way with my uncles truck pulling a rig pump and tank for his service rig on soft dirt roads. I was mistakenly under the impression that you could lug all 4 stroke in-lines' a little. The mechanic told me with no pyrometer (which should be a standard in all trucks) too keep it above 1500 on the M11's, and I was waiting until 1300-1400 before I'd down shift.

I've been told that the detroit 2 strokes when properly set up can handle 5000 rpm also, the 8-71 on the rig regularly sings to 3200 when tripping out tubing. I would like to have 4-53 in my truck with the jakes singing from 5,000. That would piss off a few PITA neighbor's.

The 2 stroke do get loud at high rpms, I would imagine a jake would really make your head rattle with the exhaust pointed at you. I dint know they put a jake on a 4-53.

I didn't either until I found a few vid's guy's on YouTube that made this swap. I'm sure there is a 60's chev half ton 4X4 on there with a 3-53 with the jake breaks on it, cause he was having problems with them staying on until it killed the engine I think.

I would think you could put a jake on pretty much any detroit configuration. It's pretty easy actually. Probably the easiest motor to put one on. IIRC you don't need the valve cover spacer like on the Cat's etc. Yeah...No luggie a Cummins..They don't like that at all....

Back