• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Injection Pump updates from GM

benjammin

wage slave
Reaction score
#PIP4538: Information On 6.5 Diesel Special Policy Injection Pumps - keywords engine identify identification L49 L56 L65 location number part pump reman remanufacture restriction tag 00064 00064A 00064B 00064C - (Nov 25, 2008)

Subject: Information on 6.5 Diesel Special Policy Injection Pumps

Models: 1994-2002 Chevrolet Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

1994-2002 GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon

1994-1998 P Chassis

1997-98 B7 School Bus Chassis

6.5 diesel engines with electronic pumps and RPO codes L49 L56 L65

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
This PI is to inform dealers of changes to the 6.5 Diesel Injection Pump Special Policy.

The injection pumps being sent to dealers will have some noticeable changes. The injection pump is remanufactured, the location of the identification tag has changed, and the pump part numbers have changed.

Continue to complete Special Policy worksheets, current diagnostics, and ensure the pump is installed on the assigned vehicle. The pump is sent with an invoice that includes the vehicle VIN number, TAC case number, and serial number. The serial number of the pump shipped must match the VIN number it was sent for. Installing the pump on the wrong vehicle may result in a charge back to the dealer.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The remanufactured pump will be the only pump available through GMSPO and the Special Policy.

1) The new 6.5 injection pump part numbers are as follows:

Special Policy Injection Pumps

Old Part Number 17800114 becomes new Part Number 19208317 (This is green tag low volume/flow injection pump)

Old Part Number 17800113

(This is the green tag 1994 high volume/flow injection pump that will be phased out due to vehicles going out of warranty)

Customer Pay / Retail Injection Pumps

Old Part Number 17800077 becomes new Part Number 19208315

(This is blue tag low volume/flow injection pump)

Old Part Number 17800076 becomes new Part Number 19208316

(This is blue tag high volume/flow injection pump used on some 1994 vehicles)

2) The identification tag location has changed. The old pump identification tag was on the rear of the pump housing above the fuel solenoid. The new pump identification tag will be bolted on the advance piston cover (driverside of pump).

Note: Dealers also need to pay particular attention to the old pump identification tags when requesting a special policy pump. There are many types of pumps being returned for special policy. Aftermarket pumps previously installed on vehicles will not be covered under special policy. Since the start of production the 6.5 diesel engine has only had three different colors on the tags. There has been a black tag, a blue tag, and a green tag. Tags of any other color were not installed by a GM facility, and will not be covered under special policy. Identification tag numbers must also be properly stamped (engraved). The tag may be the right color but have hand written (hand engraver tool, not machine stamped) part numbers/serial numbers. If there is any question about an injection pump identification tag, the dealer needs to inquire about it when calling for a special policy pump. If the identification tag is not from original equipment or special policy pump the dealer may be debited.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Thanks for the VIP info benjammin...and to you and all from across the pond have a nice Thanks Giving...

A little late, but TSB refers to the 5068 HO pump, as used on the non-emissions platforms - apparently they've decided to replace it only with the 5067\equiv lo-vol lo-flo pump, rebuilt-only and prolly recalibrated specifically to the PCM eprom according to VIN records as indicating oem installation - that could be a real fiasco, as few of those 5068's exist in the original oem platform, with no records to indicate field-upgrade - makes ya wonder why they're even still thinkin' about it.............

Last edited:
I have a 5068 IP on the 94 Burb that has a green tag on it.

Truck runs ok but has always been a dog as far as power goes.
Bet it was an early replacement IP from GM.

?????????/

MGW

Hang on to it with both hands and feet, even if ya have to go kickin' and screamin' and not so nicely - yer fixin' ta get a ho-hum 5067\equiv humdrum replacement, next rendezvous with MrGoodwrench..................

Not so sure i understand this, does this mean that when i got my ip replaced under warranty i got a low flow ip? which means less power?

Just means if your oem L65 had a 5068 hi-vol hi-flo IP, you will get a 5067\equiv lo-vol lo-flo IP, and the numbers will merge after the up\down-grade so as to preclude any more 5068's being rebuilt and re-installed - dunno what's really going down, here, at this late stage, unless GM gotta buncha recent returns from Uncle Sam

Just means if your oem L65 had a 5068 hi-vol hi-flo IP, you will get a 5067\equiv lo-vol lo-flo IP, and the numbers will merge after the up\down-grade so as to preclude any more 5068's being rebuilt and re-installed - dunno what's really going down, here, at this late stage, unless GM gotta buncha recent returns from Uncle Sam

Still kinda confused about the merging numbers part.

Also are you saying they don't want to rebuild the better 5068's any more??

They do appear to be saying that: last-ditch chance to get rid of the problematical 5068, with it's special eprom requirement - my question is why, at this late stage of a game which played itself out in '02

From the parts fiche:
http://dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=522
DS4831-5067 10225930 1994-96 LD & HD C/K, G, and P3 Truck & Van * DS4831-5288 Note 12
DS4831-5068 10225929 1994 HD C/K, G, and P3 Truck & Van * — —

FYI - if ya gotta 5521, yer good to go..................

Last edited:
Where i could have that original 5068 eprom, or even memory dump (bin file) from it? It would be intresting check differences in chip, i think there could be something useful... :rolleyes5:

The useful part is the Camring in the 5068 IP, which has more agressive ramps than all the rest - Wester's attempted some success with that pump and it's specific eprom - Bill has achieved success with the rest on the standard OBD1 eprom and OBD2 flash - Wester's has an adaptation of an editor\compiler that can read and modify the GM 6.5 Diesel flash firmware, with a version for eprom firmware

I know difference in camring and also some other things why it needs own software, i have 1995 suburban with self modified chip and 5521 pump homever i have one (should be good) 5068 pump so i'd like to analyze differences in chip (how gm has done it) so it would be easyer to make own special chip for that pump or hybrid pump with that camring. I know Bill could do flashs and eproms for normal combinations, and i also know Westers pump and chip, but i dont have big bucks for project like this.
I don't wanna do it because i must, the reason is i want know if i can do it..

Start your own Wanted: 5068 Eprom thread, also place the ad in the 6.5 Classified section - or, hit up some Euro GM dealers, see if any has one squirreled away, back in their musty-stock area

Back