• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 old style Banks Turbo with Serp drive

Missy Good Wench

Wild Blonde from Cloud Mt
Reaction score
As some of you may know I recently bought a quite cherry 91 Burb 1500 4x4 with a 350 Gasser :sad:

My intent is to swap a 6.2 into the truck.

The plan includes the addition of a complete Banks turbo setup including the Banks exhaust system.

The 91 Burb has a serp drive on the 350 so the AC is already on the RH side and the alternator is on the LH side.

I have a complete serp drive off a 93 6.5 to add to the 6.2
The issue that was worrying was if the Banks turbo would be an issue with the serp drive.

This morning I started stripping down the used 6.2 I have with the Banks setup.

After getting the alternator and other accessories off the engine I started bolting the serp drive setup on.

Right off there was an issue with the RH cast bracket bolting up to the head and block. The Banks turbo oil drain has a little arm that bolts to a boss on the block and it needs to be there. The serp drive casr bracket needed to be milled off about 1/8th inch to allow the cating to sit over the oil drain tube arm and still mount flat.

A quick trip over to my Bridgport mill made quick work of the issue.

The next issue was the vacuum pump. The turbo manifold on the Banks setup comes forward a bit and the feed from the LH side comes up past the fuel pump. This leaves no room for the vacuum pump as used on the serp drive setup.

I want to use the same belt as mym 95 DaHooooley and the 94 Burb so I only have to keep one spare.

The idler assembly that is just the pulley and bearing without the pump fits perfect.

The LH side brackets with the alternator and power steering pump all fit sweet.
The other mod will be to swap in a 6.5 water pump to allow for the reverse rotation of the serp.

The wiring on the 91 Burb is all on the correct side to accomodate the 6.2 with the serp setup.

Here are some pix.

Now its time to clean it up, freshen the 6.2 some and off to the rodeo.

EEEEEEHHHH HAAAAAA

With a little wiring to control a manual glow relay and the use of the original Oil pressure sender, temp sender and other minor things this will be sweet.

I have a complete near new Radiator from an 87 Diesel burb as well as the Hydroboost, master cylinder and such.

Should be a sweet runner

MGW

Attachments

• Bank6.2serpdrive2.jpg
    Bank6.2serpdrive2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Banks6.2serpdrive1.jpg
    Banks6.2serpdrive1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Banks6.2serpdrive3.jpg
    Banks6.2serpdrive3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Banks6.2serpdrive4.jpg
    Banks6.2serpdrive4.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 31
I take it you need the vac pump for heater/ac controls. Can the banks turbo work as good as a [borg-warner] gm8? Would a gm8 bolt to a banks manifold?

Yess the older truck needs the Vacuum to run the HVAC system doors.

The Banks turbo was calibrated to air up the little 6.2 quite well without the need for a wastegate.
Will shove about 10 PSI with the fuel set correctly
I am not sure if the GM 8 will bolt up or not. If I had one handy I could sure check it right quick though.

AHHHH yess I do have a GM turbo manifold laying around and I can compare the flanges to see if the bolt pattern is the same.

best

MGW

YUP Delco Number 14057219 :D
I am using a 700R in the 91 Burb though
I am not a real fan of the 700 but for a 1500 thats used as a people mover it will be fine.

Just going to be sweet having a clean belt drive on the thing instead of all that mess hanging on the beast.

Got a brand new LH battery tray from Ma general the other day too. This is a good thing. :D

MGW

Back