• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 CUCV drains bats

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
Buddy has a 80's CUCV 6.2 blazer that drains the batteries over night. He has tried 2 different sets of batteries with no luck. I dont know anything about the 24 volts and he is by no means a mechanic. He said he heard the alternators need to be synchronized? any ideas? :smile5:

AFAIK each Batt has it's own alt. One Alt is grounded the other is isolated. I believe the 24v is kicked down via the resistor on the firewall. I assume he tried disconnecting the Batts overnight ?

Time to try a parasitic load test it sounds like. Here's instructions for a 12 volt system. Not sure if it's different for a 24 volt system.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/JHoop/2009-08-24_141346_Parasitic_draw_test.pdf

It's quite simple with access to a Digital Multimeter that has a 10 amp setting. Typical draw should be about 500mA with everything off and the key in the OFF position. Also make sure the dome lights are off, as you will get a false amp draw reading with them on.

AFAIK each Batt has it's own alt. One Alt is grounded the other is isolated. I believe the 24v is kicked down via the resistor on the firewall. I assume he tried disconnecting the Batts overnight ?

Thats what he has to do every night...

thanks for the replys, its not his daily driver so Im slowing trying to figure this out :thumbsup:

one alt is just an old school caddy 100 amp alt IIRC it's the D/S one. The pass side is an isolated alt(I may have that backwards) but as Davo said that is a strong possiblity.

Back