• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4wd actuator wiring harness location

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
There is a clamp for this harness but I'm unsure where it is to mount. It must have needed to be moved to get the engine out, though, but I can't identify where it lived. It seems to have had a 8mm flange nut on one side but I don't know about the other. Below is a photo of about where it has ended up close to the flange on the passenger side exhaust manifold.
1703291546242.png

There is a clamp for this harness but I'm unsure where it is to mount. It must have needed to be moved to get the engine out, though, but I can't identify where it lived. It seems to have had a 8mm flange nut on one side but I don't know about the other. Below is a photo of about where it has ended up close to the flange on the passenger side exhaust manifold.
View attachment 85369
Can you get a better picture?

That looks like it could possibly be the starter heat shield bracket.
On the 1994 the 4wd harness snuck in the the glow plug wires and the exciter wire for the starter. Right between the heat shield and the starter

The looms came in between the starter heat shield bracket and the block. Then over the starter / under the heat shield.
There's an oval spot on the rear outside of the heat shield for the wires.

The 4 we wires ran back down in front of the starter.

When I changed the front wheel drive actuator - I believe there's a thread here or there - I ran a additional single wire from the actuator to the shifter or the transfer case.

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_141723.jpg
    IMG_20231204_141723.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2
That's to upgrade to the electric actuator vs the TLA system.
If you haven't run the extra wire or upgraded the actuator, I would run the wire now, while it's easy.

If I had it to do over again, I would have installed it in the 4 wire connector by the actuator.

The 1994 had 2 open connections.

I believe I ran 14 gauge brown, but it's been many years. I do remember, it was quite cold - teens or below - I was stuck in the yard, the Backhoe wasn't plugged in and the sliding doors may have been froze shut.

The harness should be fine as long as it’s routed safely and ziptied along the way.I can’t see it being a problem.

It's up in the right spot now. I was able to get everything stuffed in nicely without removing the starter. The clamp that was on the harness literally dropped over onto the stud once I had it in behind the heat shield. I would have taken pictures but my phone gave up the ghost today, so no joy there.

I don't remember where the glow plug wire is supposed to be routed, but I planned to put it through a clamp I'll put onto the back of the head. I plan to also put a ground there since my "hired hand" has no idea where it came from originally.

It's up in the right spot now. I was able to get everything stuffed in nicely without removing the starter. The clamp that was on the harness literally dropped over onto the stud once I had it in behind the heat shield. I would have taken pictures but my phone gave up the ghost today, so no joy there.

I don't remember where the glow plug wire is supposed to be routed, but I planned to put it through a clamp I'll put onto the back of the head. I plan to also put a ground there since my "hired hand" has no idea where it came from originally.
There should be a ground strap to the top of the frame right next to the starter. If you don't have that one already

Perfect 👍

I have two there. One goes to the body and the other must go to the engine since it's unhooked.
Correct, Frame to Body at the Firewall and Frame to Motor / Lower Intake at the back of the motor. G104
Just addressed that issue (frame to motor) Attached file also might help with the OEM Glow Plug Routing.

Attachments

• Diagram Engine Ground.pdf
    889.5 KB · Views: 7
Back