• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e wont gointo any gear

make it nasty

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 4l80e in a 97 k2500 with a 6.5 turbo diesel i replaced the tranny put in a new torque converter and now the truck wont go in to and gear the fulid leavel is good,has pressure coming from the return line it feels like it's in gear when you select the gear you want to go in just feels like it slipping..if anyone can help me it would be great thanks for you help...

thanks
i got it from a guy that had it rebuilt like 6 months ago and he never finshed the project it was going in...and the guy who rebuilt it is no longer around....when i first did it everything was fine and i was leting it run to make sure the fluid leave was good...there is no check engine light on or any codes... thanks bison

Might want to look at one of these http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4L80E-TRANSMISSION-95-99-CHEVY-1-2500-6-5L-DIESEL-R-4WD-/260508918936?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ca78aa498 and replace it. You could take the one you got into a shop and spend a similar amount of money diagnosing and what not or just spend the money to buy a known good one. I should have done that when my tranny went as it ended up costing 3 grand by the time I was done. The tranny shop I took it to removes them, sends them out and gets a rebuilt one back, installs it and then steals yer cash. About the only thing they do onsite is adjust bands, replace fluids and gaskets and maybe toss in a solenoid. What I don't get about San tan is

CORE POLICY

San Tan Transmission has a no core charge policy. All we require is the return of the core from your vehicle. Please call center for details.

makes zero sense to me

now it wont shift at all it feels like its going in to gear but then it dosen't do anything and acts like its slipping..
There is plenty things that could've gone wrong while rebuilding that tranny,it might be that the TC is not pulling the input shaft along cause of a failed seal or a missing ball in the intermediate plate.
Not much to advice but pull the tranny again,open it up and try to find what's wrong.

Did you do a fluid pressure test?

^^ Pressure test will help diagnose a bunch.

Couple questions:

1. Did you install your own torque converter?
2a. Did it seat into the pump all the way?
2b. When bolting up the TC to the flexplate, did you have to *draw* a Gap closed with the bolts, OR did it slide forward to the flexplate by hand?

bison thanks for all the info i took it to a tranny shop and see what they say

3500 gmc there was no gap it together easy but the thing i dont get is i drove it one day the when i got in the next morning it woldnt do anything thanks for everyones help

Back