• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E Wiring DISASTER ---> Need Help

Classified

Reaction score
I bought a truck that had the engine and trans rebuilt.

Problem is, the speedometer does not work as well as a few other issues. I feel that its a wiring issue because of the hack job that made thier own harness. I did put in a new VSS on the 4WD tailshaft on the transfercase.

The main harness and and 2 other sensors on the trans is what Im trying to get straight right now.

What I really need is the wiring schematic for the trans. I was going to buy a book of wiring schematics but now isnt a good time to be buying anything.

Can anyone help me? In the pic below, they extended the main harness to the engine bay area. The wires that come out of the plug on the trans are different colors than the ones that tie into the factory wiring. The ones that are factory all have tracers on them and the wires that come out of the plug do not have tracers. This confuses me! Anyone have any thoughts???

main.php

main.php

Also, There are a few sensors on the drivers side of the trans. I think they are the speed sensors of some sort. Anyone know what they are for and what colors the wires are supposed to be?

main.php

here's a start-tcc resistance is incorrect,

Attachments

• tmp7.jpg
    tmp7.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 32
  • 4l80e explode.jpg
    4l80e explode.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 32
  • sol res value.jpg
    sol res value.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 30
Once you get what wire does what straigtened out, I'd suggest cutting out those crimp connectors and using dual wall shring tubing and solder to hook everything together. It's not impossible for there to be corrosion in those stupid crimp connectors. I'd only use them for extremely temporary and dry applications.

Yeah I am not a fan of butt connectors at all. I will probably redo all the wires with solder and heat shrink. I wll say though, the connector that attaches to the trans was all taped up and the wires were dry and clean. the only reason for the dirst was the left over residue and the dirt from my hands. I was a little surprised.

I did find the issue, I forgot to report back here. The Vehicle Speed Sensor Buffer's 12+ IGN wire that feeds power to the unit was dead. I ran a new IGN wire and everything works perfect now, speedo, shifting, its perfect!

I have seen a nice type of butt connector. you put both wires in as normal and just heat it. it's full of solder and the outside is shrink tubing. IIRC it was a NAPA who had them.

Back