• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E, who where to buy?

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Good day all,

a buddy is getting in trouble with the 4L80E he has on his 1996 K1500.

We have flushed the trans, change all solenoids, and he is still in trouble (erratic rear, erratic to no shift).

Rather than dealing with this trans or have it fixed here, he would like to buy an upgraded one.

Any opinion about this one : http://monstertrans.com/store/products/4L80E-Transmission-Heavy-Duty-4WD-4x4.html

Any of you has already dealt with this seller?

May be you know a good/trustable seller? Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks all.
Al.

I guess that comes with a reprogrammable shift tool??? I dont know if you want to "bang" into gears. The PCM controls shift pressure and shift points, so dont know if you need to pay extra for those things. If the PCM is stock, an aftermarket PCM can program more tranny line pressure and more or less shift pressure. So it helps keep the 4L80E from destrustion compared to the stock pressure programming. It doesnt mention the torque converter, paying separate for that? Thats an important one to spend the money on for something more durable, otherwise a new standard 4L80E is alright if the PCM line pressure increased. The stock converter has a stall of about 1500rpm. The one thing I might add to the standard 4L80E is the sure cure kit, although if the bands are stronger and will hold up better then might be worth the extra dough. I just dont like the idea of recalibrated hardware stuff when its programmable in the PCM. So whereas using HD materials is great, the shift kits for "banging" into gear is not needed when the PCM could make it do that if you wanted it to.

Have you looked into your speed sensors? I know that a bad speed sensor can cause a variety of erratic issues and can make a transmission act like it's possessed.

It might not be your issue, but check to see if they aren't damaged or are giving an incorrect reading.

Back