• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E swap

Ignition switch was shot. So I bypassed it with a push button start straight to the starter. Drove the truck home. She runs great. Except she didn’t shift out of first gear. I don’t know if I’m still low on fluid or if it’s cause I don’t have to right transfer case. (The plugs didn’t match) any ideas?

I guess my other post didn’t make it. But the ignition switch is shit. So I bypassed it with a push button start to jump the starter solenoid. Works like a charm and the truck drove home and made it in pristine condition. Of course I ram into other problems. The dipstick doesn’t fit. Found out the hard way and lost a good bit of tranny fluid when I was filling it. And maybe it being low on fluid is causing it not to shift out of first gear. Or could it be the the transfer case? None of the plugs matched on the t case and there for it’s not hooked up. Could that be my shifting problem?

Sorry about that. But you know it goes. One thing after another.

do you have a scanner that will show you the data stream? see if there are any tranny codes (sometimes tranny codes don't make the SES light to turn on) also see if the ecm is commanding it to change gears, if it's reading the speed sensors in the trans. there are a lot of things that can cause it not to shift. engine coolant sensor, throttle position sensor, and speed sensors are the more common things.

I have one speed sensor off the harness put to ports in the transmission. I thought I read in here somewhere that if you use the too most port everything would be fine. Also could be something with my tbps cause I had to adjust the cable. It was too low when starting that the truck wouldn’t start.

I'm not sure if you're still in need of a shop for drive shafts, but driveline1 in Columbus does a LOT of work. I took a vibrating driveshaft to them out of little GMC last Thursday and walked out with one that no longer vibrates.

They came recommended to me by a friend of our family that has a decent size shop near us and it was a good recommendation. They can shorten, lengthen, balance, etc. Real good group of guys, in my estimation. I'm guessing they ship if needed, but I didn't ask about that.

Back