• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e shifting issues and drain back

Cullen147

Reaction score
Hey guys, I checked a ton of threads, and haven't found an answer. I have a 2001 2500hd, 4wd, gas 6.0, 4l80e. I just put a new trans in less than 100 miles ago. Brand new lines, brand new cooler as well. Since day 1, I've had shifting issues. Basically, on first strating and driving, it shifts fine, no issues. As it starts to get warm, it starts shifting super hard, and reving up then slamming into gear. Also, it won't shift into overdrive when warm. I'm running 150-200 average after driving 40 ish miles. Fluid level is good, put in fluid that came with the reman as well. Now, a new problem occurred today. I parked the truck for about an hour, came outside, and trans fluid all over the ground. It was pushing out of the dip stick seal (old seal). I started and ran truck and checked fluid level, waaayyyy over full. Went to limp it a couple blocks home, and no reverse, no drive. But after in gear for a couple seconds, it hooked, and drove and shifted fine the whole way home. Checked level at home, barely on the dip stick, temp at about 110. Any ideas? If there is a thread for this issue, I apologize and please point me to it. Thanks guys.

It's difficult to check the trans oil if the converter is "draining back" into the pan. It may still be low on oil and simply running out of oil to "shift".

Check for codes. Trans codes/engine codes.

The ECM will try and downshift if the engine starts to "misfire" and other engine not running right problems can act like trans problems.

What happened to the last trans? Possible same problem that took it out is trying to take this one out.

Possible bad rebuild. Rebuild shop been given an opportunity to check it?

Back