• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e hard 1-2 shift

chris4521

Reaction score
Ive got a 97 chevy 2500 6.5 turbo. Had it since august, runs mint, except for this.

On medium acceleration, the tranny shifts HARD from first to second. No other gears, no other issues at all. Only happens on medium acceleration. When i go real light on the pedal it shifts fine, and when i floor it, it shifts fine as well. Kind of getting on my nerves because I need to leave stop lights really slowly until it shifts to second.

Fluid level is ok
fluid condition seems ok, added a squirt of lucas with no luck.
Next week i am going to take it in and get them to drop the pan and change the filter, and use Dex-6. I plan on adding a whole bottle of lucas

any ideas what could be causing this?? it started happening about a month after i bought the truck, then went away for a couple months, only to come back recently. Happens when it's warm or cold - temp doesnt seem to affect the issue.

Cheers guys !

have to give my OPINION 1st, hate lucas except for fuel, I prefer lubegaurd a million times more.

on to the real issue, have you checked for codes????, how many miles on tranny. serviced or replaced app, shift solenoids, or speed sensors?

Ok so i will go with the lubeguard instead, pick it up at the stealers i guess??

carfax shows tranny was replaced @ ~20,000KM. Therefore tranny has roughly 150,000 KM on it. Thats all the service i know of for the tranny, as far as i know, everything else is original. Havent checked codes yet, is it the same procedure as checking for engine codes via the obd2 connection?? (i plan on buying one of those USB OBD-2 tools this week, so i will get on that. )

pull codes same way as for engine. lubegaurd can be purchased about anywhere. there was some interesting tests done on lucas that showed it caused lubricant to foam.

Back