• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4 Lights On Mod

North Maine

Merchant Mariner
Reaction score
I had a member as me how I did it on my truck, so I figured I post how and provide a wiring diagram. While I know I left out fuses, but I left that up to the installer, if you want a single fuse from the hot lead to the 2 relays (what I did, forget the number but its pretty easy math) or going to the separate lights. This set-up does NOT put any more current through the stock wiring than the stock wiring, which is why I think this is the best DIY way to do this. you could use a single relay rated to about 60 amps (ford starter relay would be perfect) but I had two 40 amp relays that I got for about a buck a piece, so that what I used. The relays are energized by the high beam wire, and that puts less than one more amp draw on the high beam circuit, so that doesn't worry me... when that happens one relay supplies by aux lights, and the other supplies the low beams. Those wires are in the loom running along the drivers fender well, green is high beam and brown is low beam I THINK, CHECK FIRST... all you have to do is strip a short section and splice in the other wire and electrical tape/ shrink wrap it up.
4lightsdiagram.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

Good idea for little expense. I used the heavy duty harness from LMC and placed a diode between the high and low realys to turn on all four. The up side is you now have more power going to the light and less power through the original headlight circut and the switch runs cooler. As soon as I get the polishing kit I will replace my bulbs with some brighter ones. I got the diode from Radio Shack in a package and the whole pack was under a buck. Simple effective and brighter lights. Anyone have a suggestion for better bulbs?

---. Anyone have a suggestion for better bulbs?

Yup, use HID kits (bulbs and ballasts) not so expensive and a real night and day difference

Good idea for little expense. I used the heavy duty harness from LMC and placed a diode between the high and low realys to turn on all four.---

What kind of a diode was it? What power should it handle?

Not sure of the size or capacity. I bought a assortment of 25 in a pack and stuck one in the baqckside of the connectors. Relay on the control side don't see much load and I haven't blown it yt but have not had a chance to use it for extended periods. The cost of the diodes was extremly cheap so if it blows I stick another one in and run it till it blows. The plus side to the original post is it won't require a diode. If mine blows I only lose the four headlight mod and will likely use this setup.

Back