• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3-6" Lift or Shocks

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I am pondering doing a 3-6" lift on my burb since I will be needing new shocks soon. I was looking at shocks prices that I have found are in the $300 range. Is that about the right range for good shocks or am I settling for cheap ones? I think the lift kits for the burb that I have seen are in the $700-$1500 range. Please give me your thoughts as to which shocks (if I do only them) are biggest bang for the buck. The same for the lift.

This is my wifes truck so it only sees towing in the summer w/ my 4500 lb boat.

Thanks!

This is the same reason I have not bought new shocks yet. I eventually want to lift my truck at least 6 inches. If I spend 300-400 on shocks that puts me farther away from the lift. I have talked to my wife about it and she agree's with me:D. Now if I could just find the money somewhere!

If you want to lift it, I would wait and just get the lift since they come with shocks anyway. JMHO

Do some serious reading before you lift it, though... these damn things don't seem to like being lifted without some other modifications to re-align the cooling system.

The simple way is to srop the fan shroud, but then they overheat empty on a hot day, depending which way the breeze blows.

Not saying it can't be done, because lots of guys figured out what to modify to make it work; but I'm not one of them, so i can't help. Do some searching first, so you don't end up doing things twice or three times.

The main overheating problems were from body lifts... if you do suspension, then you should be fine.... HOWEVER!!!! There are some issues with the front CV shafts for your year burban when lifted... only on some... its a weird thing and happens a lot but not on all of them... its a hit or miss, like the ones built on monday and friday type of thing.....your best bet is look into some new HD ones when you lift it... and you wont have any issues

DunesRunner is right, body lifts mess up cooling... suspension lifts keep the body of the truck the same, just with more ride height, thus cooling is exactly the same.

Well it looks like suspension lift is the way to go. Are there any kits that require little to no fabrication?

cheap way is a torsion bar re-key and an add-a-leaf... bout 200 bucks w/out shocks

note: only good for up to 3 inches, and even thats pushing it, its really like a 2 1/4 inch lift when its all settled.

The only kits I have ever installed on the 88-98's were the Fabtech ones... they seemed to have the least amount of problems... and they are set up to 35's which looks sweet

I know a lot of guys who had major issues with some other kits and so I usually turned everyone over to fabtech

I should have included this in my original post. My idea is to keep the stock 265's until they're spent. I'm guessing about 15-20k miles left. Will that look okay?

My truck sits a little higher than other K1500 6.5TDs (I make this observation after driving other trucks when I purchased my 6.5). I am wondering if a previous owner (PO) changed the torsion bar keys and other suspension components.

How do you tell if your torsion keys were changed?

I do not know what a stock rear suspension looks like, but I suspect I have an added leaf. Not sure about that tho.. I've enclosed a picture, and the addition is easily differentiated from the stock leafs: it is a bright silver leaf spring that appears to be bolted to the other leaf springs with a u-bolt.

Is this an add-on?

I hope this doesn't look like a thread hijack :eek: - I am hoping that this information may be useful for others who have bought used trucks, and who do not know if the PO changed the suspension from stock to aftermarket.

Thanks.

cheap way is a torsion bar re-key and an add-a-leaf... bout 200 bucks w/out shocks

note: only good for up to 3 inches, and even thats pushing it, its really like a 2 1/4 inch lift when its all settled.

Attachments

• truck suspension.jpg
    truck suspension.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 17
yes you have an add-a-leaf

another good brand to go with for a complete lift is dic k cepek, good quality. rancho is selling the 4 or 6" lift for that era gm for 1,000 bucks, cheaper than most.

cranking your torsion bars is not a good idea for over 2" of lift. from the factory gm has the front suspension resting (or nearly resting) on the lower bumpstops. crank the torsion bars to the point where your lower control arms are 1/2 wa between the upper/lower bumpstops and you wont have any issues. go higher and you will wear out ball joints, cv joints, and steering components fast as well as have a rougher ride.

Well my wife put the brakes on the lift kit. She wanted it until she saw the approimate $2k price tag.

I guess it is new shocks for the time being.

One of my neighbors manages a les schwab tire store. He said that they have a buy 3 and get one free. The install ation of all 4 is $72. The total installed is $320. Is this a fair price? He said they are made by Bilstine and carry a lifetime warranty which includes labor.

Back