• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2nd Towing Thread

akguppy

Reaction score
Funny, this is a "Towing" forum, and this is only the 2nd towing thread. :eek:ut:
Anyway, I tow a bumper hitched 27' Toyhauler and really get hammered on loss of mpg's. I get mainly single digits w/ moderately load <10k. Will one of those "batwings" help my aero?

i think somebody did a study on it, and for the cost of the spoiler i think you've got to drive a shitload of miles to pay for it with the mileage gain. how fast do you usually drive when you're towing?? cruise control??

The Wing. . . .

Kinda reminds me of one of those dog cone collars that keep them from licking their wound. . . it may be functional but, I just can't stop laughing when I see one.

I just tow my utility trailer in my sig. Usually with either the loader tractor on it which equals 10k total weight or a bunch of firewood to feed the OWB up in Sycamore. That I've had up to an uncomfortable total near 16k. I usually see right around 10-11 mpg when loaded (hand calc) and never really go beyond 55 unless I'm empty coming back. I like to be ready for some jerk to pull out in front of me.

bad fuel filter? i'm sure you've changed it, but i've got no idea why your mileage is so shitty.

The Wing. . . .

Kinda reminds me of one of those dog cone collars that keep them from licking their wound. . . it may be functional but, I just can't stop laughing when I see one.

:smilielol5:X2! I have a 27 ft travel trailer and took it to NM for Thanksgiving and was only getting 9-10 on the way down doing 75. On the way back I got it back up to 12.5 mpg's. Never slowed down, I added some cetane. I think most of it was the fuel......winter blend will kill ya on mpg's.

i got the same deal on my 19' toyhauler...gvwrs @ 10k....and i load it EVERY bit to that, plus a quad in my truck bed....im prolly close to 21k rollin down the road...im lucky to get 8-9 mpg while towing, but it tows better than a 1/2 ton!!!

The Bat Wing

I spoke to a fellow last year with one in gatlinburg Tn. Says he consistanly gets 3-4 mpg better But he drives alot of miles so i would have to agree with the above gentleman, up front cost verse miles driven......if money is not a factor enjoy Im no math major maybe some one can chime in here on the cost savings/ time to recoup He told me he drove roughly 20-30 k a year towing his 5er. $$$$$$$$

I tow at posted speed limits or below.

What's your posted speed limits? In MT, they are 70/75 depending whether they are interstate freeway or rural highways. I get better mpg's going 60-65 than 70-75. Most RV's and trucks with campers run 60-65 miles per hour. Also, what is the profile of your toyhauler? Is it alot taller than your truck? The aero of your toyhauler may be contributing to the loss of mpg's. I don't have a toyhauler so I'm not sure what your toyhauler looks like. We have some toyhaulers that are significantly taller than the trucks and there are some with angled fronts.

Funny, this is a "Towing" forum, and this is only the 2nd towing thread. :eek:ut:
Anyway, I tow a bumper hitched 27' Toyhauler and really get hammered on loss of mpg's. I get mainly single digits w/ moderately load <10k. Will one of those "batwings" help my aero?

How much do those wings cost? Got any pictures?

just got done dring my bo truck back from the dealer..
trailer 8k
d50 7k
dodge 2500 7k
dually 7500

bring the tottal just under 30,000 pounds GCVW

dually is "the4wheeler"'s truck dont know if he has made it over yet

Attachments

• less truck 01.jpg
    less truck 01.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 7
Back