• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

27MT starter question

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
hey guys. i'm in need of a starter. the brushes in mine are trashed to the point where one of the brush hold down screws has been worn away by contact w/ the armature. The starter spins fine out of the truck, but god awful in the truck. it seems to have the rotating speed but no power behind it to turn w/ a load on it so it spins fine with no load but it doesn't with a load on it.

I don't know if i can replace the brushes and it'll work a tad longer, or if i should just replace it. I can't afford a starter from a parts store right now. The lowest price i've seen is ~$200. would changing out the brushes help me in this situation or not?

Here's some video of the starter before i cleaned and lubricated the bushings. The slow spin speed is also due to the garbage jumper cables i had to use. with heavier jumper cables it spun about twice as fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlZ4W8fnu6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtktFp96n0w

I don't know if i can save it or not guys. what do you think?

You got the one that looks like a bigger version of an old gasser or the one that looks like the 6.5 one ? Damn I used to have a couple junk ones but I have no idea where they would be if I didin't toss them when I moved.

You got the one that looks like a bigger version of an old gasser or the one that looks like the 6.5 one ? Damn I used to have a couple junk ones but I have no idea where they would be if I didin't toss them when I moved.

It looks like the gasser version on steroids. Now the damn thing's spinning fast enough to start the engine, but just barely. it still sounds like shit though. I plan to put a 6.5 starter and a 4/0 starter cable in. i've got the cable on order now, should have it next week.

Look for any shiny spots on the armature or fields if there is any it means your bushings are worn out. That will cause alot of excessive amp draw. The commutator looked pretty normal for a used starter. Take some emery paper and polish it up real clean (ideal would be to turn it in a lathe). If the bushings are ok slap some brushes in it and it will probably be fine.

one other spot to check is the wires that goes to the brushes. they can heat up and melt some. Don't ask how I know!:eek::mad2:

Ask around to see if there's a good local rebuilder nearby. Some of those guys will go out of their way to get it fixed with only the minimum amount of parts and, of course, much cheaper. That's the case by me. I've had them do several starters, generators and alternators for trucks and tractors over the years.

Ask around to see if there's a good local rebuilder nearby. Some of those guys will go out of their way to get it fixed with only the minimum amount of parts and, of course, much cheaper. That's the case by me. I've had them do several starters, generators and alternators for trucks and tractors over the years.

This is exactly what i did. I found a place called Barbin Electric a few towns over. This guy was fantastic! i brought the starter to him, all disassembled and he pressed the old bushings out, and put the new ones in. He cut the commutator down and cleaned it up on the lathe. i also got new brushes, new plastic brushholders for the positive side, new springs for the brushholders, and a new solenoid as well.

All this cost me $25, and i put the starter together and tested it before i started my shift at work. I"m a happy camper. The starter sounds brand new. I'll install it tomorrow and see how the truck starts.

I have a 4/0 cable coming my way in a few days that'll be installed for a starter cable. Overkill...yes...but this thing is going to starter with no problems this winter. I'm going to make sure of that.

When you find one of those guys, you try to convince everbody to go there and keep 'em in business. They're a dying (literally) breed. Fortunately, my guy just took over for his dad a few years ago and he's a young fella.

When you find one of those guys, you try to convince everybody to go there and keep 'em in business. They're a dying (literally) breed. Fortunately, my guy just took over for his dad a few years ago and he's a young fella.
:iagree: they're hard to find, but oh so worth it when you do.

Back