• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2013 f150 ecoboost timing chain

F150FX4

Reaction score
Gotta do my timing chain. (Errr, neighbor mechanic doing it). Is sealed power OK, or go SA gear? (his recommendation). And where do you get SA gear. 155k miles. New to the forum. 2013 loaded......loaded with more to go wrong!15606313670221285517463.jpg

Sealed power on RA is in my cart. $107. Haven't checked out yet. Running into more questions. Gasket sets are more than that. Gotta change vacuum pump also. Truck had a hard life. Spent first 125k hauling farm equipment for a rental place in Louisiana. Looking at it all, looks like I should replace more while he is in it. VVT solenoid actuator, spark plugs, anything else that has to do with timing/fire. Ugh. Knew I should have got the 5.0.

Welcome to TTS!

Five thoughts:
1) Check the TTS Vendor's area for a coupon to RA. Enter this in the 'How did you hear about us' field in RA's checkout page.

2) Might get better responses (or results from searches) on one of the EcoBoost forums toward the actual question. Post project results here as everybody loves a good wrench-job :)

3) Given the report of a hard previous life, consider focusing on intercooler related items in addition to the timing work. IIRC, that generation of EcoBoost motor has an issue with its intercooler when working hard which brings two related coments. Specifically, it gets to a point where it no longer cools the charge air which in turn causes the coolant temp to climb. Another factor is that in some scenarios it is known to collect moisture which the motor eventually ingests. If you are going to tow with the truck, consider either modding the intercooler, replacing the intercooler with a later year part (IIRC, things were corrected by '15), or an aftermarket intercooler.

4) If not already changed, the driveline fluids are done. All of them. General consensus on maintenance is that Ford's schedule is too optimistic and a bunch of stuff needs changing every 40K miles, especially if towing or working hard. The list is: spark plugs, trans fluid, X-fer (if it has one), and rear diff. With 125K miles, the front diff probably needs changing.

5) Motor oil changes need to happen much more frequently than the oil life remaining indicator as that motor is known for fuel dilution in the oil. Without doing oil analysis, consider not going over 50% remaining life per the indicator. Past that and you are likely turning the oil into something other than oil. And notice how I am not stating a mileage as the unit of measure ;) Personally, I'd consider using AMSOIL's synthetic with the high TBN to help mitigate the fuel dilution.

Very informative, thank you. I'll keep posting. Sitting in yard still, as of Friday.

Back