• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2011 GM Rear Axle Cross Pin Safety Recall

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Media Statement on Rear Axle Cross Pin Safety Recall

2011-01-15

DETROIT – General Motors of Canada is expanding a recall of certain 2011 model year trucks to add full-size vans and midsize pickup trucks to replace the rear axle cross pin that may have been improperly heat-treated and could fracture, causing the axle to lock while driving.

The original recall in December 2010 of 1,586 vehicles now includes 3,942 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Cadillac EXT, Chevrolet Avalanche, Colorado, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; and GMC Canyon, Sierra, Yukon and Yukon XL. Owners of the vehicles are being contacted and urged against driving the trucks until the axle pin is replaced.

If the pin fractures and becomes displaced within the rear axle, the driver may hear a banging noise coming from the axle. If the pin shifts out of position, it could create an interference condition and cause the rear axle to lock. The driver may not be able to maintain directional control of the vehicle, which could lead to a crash.

GM knows of one customer incident in which a driver experienced a loss of power to the axle. There was no crash. GM is unaware of any crashes or injuries related to the condition.

Does it include 4x4 1500 Suburbans with the G80 and 3.42 ratio? I better let my parents know to keep an eye out. Might even call the dealer.

Wonder if that include the G80 locker?

I don't think so, it looked like the 1500 models for the Silverado, and most of the Suburban, Escolade types.

My bad, as I was thinking the of the 11.5" rear end that we have in our 2500/3500 trucks, not even thinking that the G80's are in the 1500 trucks too. I am not sure about it now.

Called Dad and told him to keep his eye out for any info on it, just in case.

G80 is just the RPO code for locking rear end, the actual diff varies from truck to truck. ;)

Back