• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2002 3500 blowed up!!

overkill 19

Reaction score
I have a 02 duramax LB7, I believe that dropped a rod. My ? is what motor will work in this truck. Has anyone used a 05 motor in a 02 and swapped the harness/computer? The 05 I have a line on is complete truck. My turbo and all the top end is still good. Are there other years that will work? Is it easier to just swap the block and use my heads?
Thanks in advance.

I would just swap block and use your heads but I am not sure if LB7 heads are a perfect mate to an LLY block? But that would be the easiest IMO

I compiled some info, thoght I would pass it along.
-'04 and down engines (LB7) should be a bolt in for your truck. '04.5 up engines (LLY,LBZ) might be possible to use the short block, but the heads were redesigned and have different injectors, don't know if they are useable with your ECM and wiring harness or not. They also have a variable pitch turbo which will be useless with your truck because the LB7 didn't have this feature. If the head bolt pattern is the same, you could possibly use the '05 short block assy. with your complete top end. Hope that's clear as mud and helps at least a little. Mike
-I'm pretty sure ALL the blocks can be interchanged, just different heads....
-All model years to date can have the shortblock swapped. From there up there are several differences. The only thing that happens in the short block is that they used different pistons.

2001 - 2005 LB7 and LLY 17.5:1
2006 - up 16.8:1
-blocks are interchangable, slight changes, LBZ stronger for HP. checkout post while back by rickdlance, he converted LB7 to LLY heads to get away from injector problems, you can backfit your heads. FICM different, 2003+ electric/electronics different.

why not just take the 05 engine and ecm? I know I saw somewhere on here where someone replaced their LB7 with a LLY before.

??

why not just take the 05 engine and ecm? I know I saw somewhere on here where someone replaced their LB7 with a LLY before.
Are the ecm's the same?
I would do that if it all fits "connections, computer, harness etc" Just have not yet comfermed that you can do that without changing the harness as well? Which I could do, but not sure if a 05 harness will fit in a 02 truck without splicing. I'm not a big fan of cutting harness's apart. IMO it's just a recipie to have something go wrong down the road.

Are the ecm's the same?
I would do that if it all fits "connections, computer, harness etc" Just have not yet comfermed that you can do that without changing the harness as well? Which I could do, but not sure if a 05 harness will fit in a 02 truck without splicing. I'm not a big fan of cutting harness's apart. IMO it's just a recipie to have something go wrong down the road.

Im not sure..... it would make for an awesome truck though! you would not have anymore hg or injector issues! I would at least look into it... Ill post if I find the thread on this subject. may have been from the "other" site.

The 2002 truck is slightly different than the 2003 and later. I'm sure with enough time you could make the swap work but it would take some rewireing and ECM reprogramming. The simple way would be to use the short block from the '05 and you top end. That would be a straight swap.

There was a guy over on the other site, I think hes over here but im not for sure, but he swapped llys into his lb7 trucks, if you do end up swapping the whole motor you might have a talk with him. Over there he went by RickDLance, he knows his dmaxes.

On edit: I checked and rick is on here so maybe he will chime in and let ya know

There was a guy over on the other site, I think hes over here but im not for sure, but he swapped llys into his lb7 trucks, if you do end up swapping the whole motor you might have a talk with him. Over there he went by RickDLance, he knows his dmaxes.

On edit: I checked and rick is on here so maybe he will chime in and let ya know

rick's on here, but he's more active on his own site. www.dmaxcentral.com

might want to give it a try.

Back