• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2000 Chevy k2500

Kenheying

Reaction score
I bought a truck that was abused. Needless to say, the transmission went bad and I am looking for a replacement. It has a nv4500 in it. I can get one from a 1992 Chevy 1500. Will that work in it? I am told that it is impossible to get a whole rebuild kit for it. What other manual transmission will work, without major modifications to it?

You can get a rebuild kit from Torque King 4x4

They also stock gears, mainshafts, anything you may need

You'll probably find that the sum of rebuild parts will equal that of an already rebuilt unit

What year is the abused truck? the 92-95 GM NV4500 has a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the 1996 + and a different slave cylinder setup. So if swapping an early 90s NV4500 into a later year, make sure the bellhousing goes with the transmission

As far as I know the NV4500s should be interchangeable with the above details in mind

^everything above is spot on, torque king also offers an awesome rebuild manual and all the necessary tools.

That 92 NV4500 wont bolt to your bellhousing, and I personally prefer the 96+ bell setup, so Id go out of my way to avoid leaving the OEM setup.

Another option to consider is the NV4500 direct replacement kit from www.rsgear.com
They sell a tremec TR4050 that has custom housings so total length is the same so no driveline work is needed.

Back