• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1997 4L80E No OD, No Codes, No Slipping,

Grumoly

Reaction score
Hello all
New here and nearly new to the 6.5 diesel - I love it.

I have a 1997 6.5 diesel crew 4x4 1 tonne
Starts and runs great drives straight.
A few months ago I was camping with family - drove 150 miles and then another 40 miles on really rough road (lots of shaking) pulling a 2500lb trailer. drove slow and no probs.
Camped for a few days and then on way home realized no overdrive. TC seems to be engaging up to 3rd but wont go into overdrive.
It is same when hot or cold. no slip. no hard shifts. Just runs like a 3 speed.
Had it into a shop and he drove it with the computer hooked up and said the computer is sending signal to tranny to go to OD but the tranny isnt hearing it. He mentioned a problem with these that there is a short sometimes in a signal wire (orange?) sometimes?
He hasn't had time to work on it so I took it to another shop who is supposed to be pretty good and he drove it and said definitely a hard parts problem and needs a rebuild...

I have been driving it since for a few months and no change for better or worse. tows fine, doesnt overheat - tranny fluid looks fine. But would love to get OD back as driving at 55mph revs too high

Any thoughts?

WOW, how did I miss this ?
Thank You for replying back into the forum. and. welcome to thetruckstop.
I`m not the one that`ll talk about transmission repairs si, hopefully someone with the answers will chime in.

Wondering if it could be a grounding issue, or possibly a bad solenoid.
Might drop the pan and see what kind of material might be floating around in there.

Thanks.
Think i have checked the grounds.
Have it ging into shop tomorrow to put on computer and drop pan.
If it looks messy i have a hold ona used tranny with 50k mile

Duplicate thread where it was in depth here:

Back