• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1968 Bolens Husky 1050

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I realize this is a small tractor, but I'm hoping ya'll will still be able to help me out. Thanks in advance!

So, I've already posted on http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135446 about a vibration that I was having with the tractor whenever the mower deck was engaged, but I'm finding solutions to that.

I thought I'd post a pic or two and also a question or two. My main concern right now is my throttle fluctuating when mowing and turning and on very, very slight slopes. I just don't know - still kind of new to the small engines world. I thought if I adjusted the overall fuel adjustment, it might fix it, but it doesn't really. It runs fine when first started, but after it heats up it starts doing this...

Here's a vid of the fluctuating throttle:

Also, I have a wet air filter - how full should I fill the filter with oil and with what kind of oil?

Also - here's some pics of some new-to-me tires. I sold my 68ish JD 140 H3 for $450 (bad motor) and a set of wider tires mounted on wider wheels. How much could a 1050 pull...would it be worth putting duals on it? haha - i'm just kidding (mostly). I do like the wider tires though - I have a rather swampy yard...

Photo233-1.jpg

Photo232-1.jpg

I LOVE those little guys. We've had 2 of them over the years.

I would check for a vacuum leak. Try spraying wd-40 or similar (Amsoil MP for instance:D) around the area where the carb is bolted on. If you have air bypassing the carb that could do it.

I did what you said wrecker, and didn't see any air bypassing. I changed the oil 4 times - long story, but I now have clean oil in the system. My buddy, chuck, suggested maybe I needed to add some additive since the motor/mower is a 68 and seems original. Well, I added 1.5 oz of lead alternative, and 1.5 oz of carb cleaner to 2.5 gallons of gas, and ran the tractor at high throttle with deck under load, and after a couple of minutes of mowing like that it seemed to even out. I'm planning on mowing sometime this week, so I'll have a better idea if its really fixed. (Both those additives were in 12 oz containers and both had instructions to add to 20 gallon tank. I had a 5 gallon container that was half full, so 20gal/5gal = 4, 12oz/4=3oz, 3/2=1.5 - so I believe I got my proportioning correct)

I hope it was that easy. Cleaning the fuel system is always a good place to start.

You gotta give it up, why did you change the oil 4 times?

I guess it was really 3 times. I emptied it and it was a dark grey (the grey may have come from the retainer washer from the dipstick - it fell into the block...or at least I hope that's where the grey came from), and filled with 30weight ND (manual says 30 weight), and ran, but it was rough, so I emptied that and it was a light grey. Filled it up with 10w-30, but it ran rough and I could read it on the dipstick so I added more, and when I had it at high throttle and tried to take off at the highest gear I was engulfed by blue smoke (thought I blew the engine). Emptied it and I had over filled it - but it came out clean and clear. Filled it a 3rd time with 30 weight, normal, and I haven't had any problems. (as far as oil goes...I don't think. I need to remember to check it, but I wasn't seeing any oil burning last time i started, ran, and stopped it)

Back