• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1200 mile trip

Deere Freek

Recruit
Reaction score
Just found out about this forum, spent most of my time on dp, anyway, to my question. I'm looking for ways to increase my mileage (whi isn't) and thought about shutting down a couple cylinders (only run on 5 or 6) just while cruising. Is it possible or would it be more work than it's worth? I know that a lot of larger vehicals on the road are doing it and wondered if it was possible for us 6.5'ers. I'm making a trip from Mi to Ia this weekend and came up with the idea.

Last edited:
the cylinder shutdown thing hasn't worked well in the past. the caddys with the 4-6-8 engines that were "fixed" to just run on all 8. the new "displacement on demand" GM engines are garbage i've heard. my neighbor had one and even running on the 4 cyl it was still getting single digit numbers for fuel mileage. its probably more pain and BS than its worth, but thats just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I guess i figured it would be. normally I'm not one to come up with all the bright ideas but figured i would ask the epxerts

Yeah, I don't think cut outs would work for 6.5s since they are not electronically controlled. And your from Michigan?? I feel bad for you... :p

the cylinder shutdown thing hasn't worked well in the past. the caddys with the 4-6-8 engines that were "fixed" to just run on all 8. the new "displacement on demand" GM engines are garbage i've heard. my neighbor had one and even running on the 4 cyl it was still getting single digit numbers for fuel mileage. its probably more pain and BS than its worth, but thats just my $0.02.

Hahaha I remember those duds

:smilielol5: they worked "fine" if you consider "fine" being in the shop more than on the road. that sounds like the new ford 6.4. :prrr:

Electric fans seem to have gotten me about +2mpg with a mix of city and high way driving.

I asked this before on DP

And the answer went something like this:

Diesel engines run full compression all the time, as opposed to gasoline engines, which run different comp ratios all the time.

When you shut the injectors off to the diesel cylinders, you take the fuel out, but you get the HUGE surge in extra cylinder pressure, because those other non working pistons are just adding drag.

So you would be adding more fuel to compensate for the compression, therefore reducing fuel econ and engine life...

Sound legit?

And as for the gas engines varying there compression ratio, dont ask me how its done. I though they would be fixed or something.

(25% or more might be wrong. im no expert)

Normal gas engines are fixed comp. ratio. I think what they may have been referring to are the cyl's. that are dropped. They have a means of holding the valves open to to reduce the drag. If they made comp. but with no power stroke it would be a worse case scenario. Leo

Yeah, all engines have fixed compression ratios. At least so far... Nobody that I know of has figured out how to make it variable. When that happens it will be a scary day... But I expect to see camless engines much sooner, and those will be strange things.

Shutting off cylinders in my opinion wouldn't do much good. It still requires the same amount of power, but now other cylinders have to produce the power to keep the ones that aren't firing moving. Just creates imbalance and that's about it. Plus, how you would do it on one of these engines I'm not sure. On a fuel injected gasser it is as simple as shutting off an electrical pulse to the cylinder you want to shut off, but you can't do that on one of these engines.

high sierra. theres only one engine that has been made thats variable. the prius engine is "atkinson" cycle. its has a variable comp ratio by adjusting when the intake valve opens. its a stupid deisgn thats bound to break but i thought it was "interesting". its the only thing i've learned in my hybrids class:prrr: that i found useful this semester.

Saab did make a variable compression ratio engine back in the early 1990's. As you can see it never went any where.
The GM LS2's with displacement on demand use solenoids on the hydraulic lifters' oil supply to collapse the lifter shuting the valves, this helps with pumping losses and of course the fuel injector stops too.

So from the responces I'm getting i'd say that it's not very practical. I know on my Kubota I have a compression realease valve for easier starting. Would that not make less resistance?

the comp release idea might work. that type of setup varies with different engine companies and such. my dads got a 65-70cc chainsaw with a comp release because without it you can't pull it fast enough even two-handed. my friends honda 4-wheeler has a comp release as well. you click it on ans its much easier to pull over although you can start it without the comp release but it may backfire and pull back(ask me how i know)

Last edited:
i've done that with my saw. trust me it hurts. squirming on the ground like a worm thrown on hot coals.................

no fun

the comp release idea might work. that type of setup varies with different engine companies and such. my dads got a 65-70cc chainsaw with a comp release because without it you can't pull it fast enough even two-handed. my friends honda 4-wheeler has a comp release as well. you click it on ans its much easier to pull over although you can start it without the comp release but it may backfire and pull back(ask me how i know)

OK Dave, How do you know?

Back