• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

06 Mirrors on an '02 ('01 similar)

Diesel Dually

awaiting your return...signed... your friends
Reaction score
Here's the scoop for the '01 Chevy. It's very similar to Mr Losi's directions but the wire colors are different. I saved a few headaches by running the signal wires up to the front turn signal light wires as well as using a jimmy to snake the wires through the door so I didn't have to take the panel off. Also, I did not want to cut off the connectors so I used tap splices to join the wires. All the connectors stayed on. No soldering, no headache, no harm, no foul.

1.jpg

Take off cover and remove foam.

2.jpg

Remove wires from space. You can remove mounting clip on the truck's wire harness from the hole it locks into to get an extra inch of wire to work with

3.jpg

Trim back tape on wires.

4.jpg

I connected my turn signal wires to the actual wires for each of the front turn signal lights. This pic shows the wires going through the gasket in the firewall on the driver's side of the engine compartment. You can gain better access by moving the truck's computer to the side. It should snap out of it's bracket and lay out of the way. I used the tube of a BIC pen to shove through the gasket after peeling off the tape. Then you can run your wires through the pen, pull the pen through the other side and slide it off of the wires. Retape the gasket when finished. NOTE the broken black tube on the left was the only casualty of my install. It is the feed tube for the window washing fluid. I glued it back together when I was done

5.jpg

The BIC pen trick. Notice I cut a taper on the end to slide through the gasket easier. Be careful not to puncture the rubber.

6.jpg

Closeup of the modified BIC Pen

7.jpg

To connect the wires to the front signals, remove the pins for the top headlight brackets.

8.jpg

Slide the top headlight out. Now you can remove the lower light assembly by depressing the tab that I'm pointing to.

9.jpg

With the lower light assembly out, you can use a tap splice on the blue (positive) wire. My splice in the photo is without the wire running to the cab. It was for the picture.

10.jpg

To be continued

A tap splice, if you don't know. They are cheap at your local hardware store in the electronics section. They make solid connections but if for some reason you aren't getting power, pull it apart and make sure the spade broke through the plastic sheath on the wire.

11.jpg

The tap splice with both wires.

12.jpg

Do not forget the other side!

13.jpg

This is the wire from the passenger side. I ran it along the inside of the grill. Behind the bowtie, there is a bracket. I ran the wire between the bowtie and the bracket to keep it away from the radiators as well as to hide the wire behind the chrome bar on the grill.

14.jpg

The wire is already through the firewall, connected to the light, the slack taken out. I have removed the passenger side kickpanel to go through the sidewall.

15.jpg

With a screwdriver (don't scratch the paint) slide off the rubber gasket and depress the tabs on the white plastic retainer. (Removing the retainer is simply to reattach the rubber gasket later). Feed your wire through the sidewall hole and through the plastic retainer.

16.jpg

Closeup of the removed gasket

17.jpg

Slide signsl wire through Footwell hole

18.jpg

Take your handy BIC pen tool and with both sides of the rubber seal removed, feed the pen through the seal. This will allow the wire to feed through easily.

19.jpg

Easy!

20.jpg

To be continued

The BLK:BLK connection (ground for Heater).

31.jpg

The PPL/WHT:OR/BLK (Down function) and YEL:WHT (Up function) connections.

32.jpg

The RED/WHT:GRY/BLK (Left/Right movement) connection.

33.jpg

The Brown:BLK connection doubles up on a black wire. Either ground works.

34.jpg

The BLU/WHT: Your own wire from the Passenger side turn signal connection.

35.jpg

Believe it or not, everything fits and I can still revert back to the stock mirrors if I ever had to.

Below is the wiring schematic for '01 Trucks. '02 Trucks are found in post #1. And if you do not want to run wires under the hood, you can catch the turn signals via this link..

Driver Side
Truck: Mirror

Heater
ORANGE: BLACK (EITHER ONE)
BLK: BLK

Movement
YELLOW: WHITE (UP)
WHT: GRAY/BLK (L/R)
GREEN: OR/BLK (DOWN)

Signal
BLK BROWN (NEG)
BLUE/WHT: YOUR OWN WIRE FROM DRIVERS SIDE TURN SIGNAL

Passenger Side
Truck: Mirror

Heater
OR: BLK
BLK: BLK

Movement
YEL: WHT (UP)
PURPLE: OR/BLK (DOWN)
RED/WHT: GRAY/WHT (LEFT, RIGHT)

Signal
BLK: BROWN
BLU/WHT: YOUR OWN WIRE FROM PASSENGER SIDE TURN SIGNAL

Are all the years from 01 on interchangable? I have an 03 with regular mirrors on it. I love the look of the 06 towing mirrors. Where did you get yours?

Back