• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

03 Dmax 290k miles. Is it worth my time?

If you can get the VIN, have a service report pulled so Henry can check to see if the injectors have been replaced yet. Along with the obvious, look for smoke at startup, smoking while idling. Strong fuel smells in the engine bay or around the exhaust. Check the oil for diesel..

If you had a way to check the balance rates it wouldn't hurt. EFILive or a Tech II will do it. I think even the latest Predator will also.

But, if you do decide to purchase a LB7 truck, be sure to know that injectors will have to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Looking at it tonight. Thats a great idea checking the VIN out Jeff. The truck has seen 2 sets of inj. and the ones in the truck now have 70K miles on them. I'll know more tonight.

Is it a fleet truck? Looks kinda like it.

That could be good or bad, most fleet trucks get the service that they need but can be driven by (relatively) uncaring employees.

Crew cab is always nice.

What I can see of the interior looks decent, maybe the steering wheel leather starting to go bad (high mileage, skin oils, etc). Mine had just over 400 K on it and my leather wheel was breaking down the same way.

The EGT and boost guages could be good or bad, hard to tell. On the good side, someone knew enough to install them so hopefully they watched them. Or it could mean the truck has spent a long time towing.

The fifth wheel foot, high kms and DOT number could very well mean "hotshotter truck", but I could be wrong there.

466,000 is kinda high, even for a dmax. That's what would make me look real close and maybe even shy away from it.

How much are they giving you for payout on your 6.5?

Is it a fleet truck? Looks kinda like it.

That could be good or bad, most fleet trucks get the service that they need but can be driven by (relatively) uncaring employees.

Crew cab is always nice.

What I can see of the interior looks decent, maybe the steering wheel leather starting to go bad (high mileage, skin oils, etc). Mine had just over 400 K on it and my leather wheel was breaking down the same way.

The EGT and boost guages could be good or bad, hard to tell. On the good side, someone knew enough to install them so hopefully they watched them. Or it could mean the truck has spent a long time towing.

The fifth wheel foot, high kms and DOT number could very well mean "hotshotter truck", but I could be wrong there.

466,000 is kinda high, even for a dmax. That's what would make me look real close and maybe even shy away from it.

How much are they giving you for payout on your 6.5?

Don't have the numbers from insurance yet. I'm kicking tires and seeing whats available when it's decision time.

The truck was used to haul outdoor wood burning furnaces I believe. The business that is selling the truck, builds and delivers these across the U.S and Canada.

Don't have the numbers from insurance yet. I'm kicking tires and seeing whats available when it's decision time.

The truck was used to haul outdoor wood burning furnaces I believe. The business that is selling the truck, builds and delivers these across the U.S and Canada.

Ah, that might be good then. Lots of towing miles but mostly highway running.

The fifth hitch means it might have been towing heavy for most of that (2 or 3 of those furnances aint exactly light) , EGT guage could mean they actually knew what to do when towing and took care of it.

I see they're bully dog guages, so they didn't cheap out on prices. Seems to indicate the maintenance (injectors too from what you say) would have been kept up. You'd need the records to say for sure.

Maybe see if you can beat them up a bit more on price, although most businesses have a pretty good idea of the residual value they need out of it.

I'd be inclined to go take a serious look at it.....

Hey you can't leave us 6.5ers Gerald! LOL :eek:

Not a bad looking truck, wonder how heavy the loads were? If they have all the service records & everything checks out, then & only then would I consider it, for trade in value minus the high miles. IMO no more then $7K.

Here is the Nada price & I think it's too high this $ is price based on Chicago area.
Trade-In $9,850

Went to look at the truck tonight. Wasn't feelin it. To many small issues with it. I guess what do you expect with that many miles. The guy won't budge a dollar on the price either. Next...

That one didn't look too great... here's a better one:

http://www.buysellbyphoto.com/trucks/0449.html

Followed by an even BETTER one:

http://www.buysellbyphoto.com/trucks/0409.html

(on the road again, near Red Deer, AB - saw the sign and decided to check out the website (www.buysellbyphoto.com). Not bad!

Then, on kijiji:

http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...ilverado-3500-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ307078691

or

http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...VERADO-Pickup-Truck-DIESEL-W0QQAdIdZ299281785

C'mon out, Gerald! We'll have us a GTG!

Thanks for following this thread guys and trying to help a brother out.

Seeing these ads Jim, looks like I have to broaden my search. By the way...even with hail dents my 6.5 is nicer than the ones you linked me :):hihi::hihi:

I do appreciate it though.

Ah, that might be good then. Lots of towing miles but mostly highway running.

The fifth hitch means it might have been towing heavy for most of that (2 or 3 of those furnances aint exactly light) , EGT guage could mean they actually knew what to do when towing and took care of it.

I see they're bully dog guages, so they didn't cheap out on prices. Seems to indicate the maintenance (injectors too from what you say) would have been kept up. You'd need the records to say for sure.

Maybe see if you can beat them up a bit more on price, although most businesses have a pretty good idea of the residual value they need out of it.

I'd be inclined to go take a serious look at it.....
:hihi: The average outdoor furnace is about a ton. I sell them and the company that I deal with haul them with a Powerstroke and have about 10 or so on a load.

I just got a catalog from that guy a couple days ago. :D

Seeing these ads Jim, looks like I have to broaden my search. By the way...even with hail dents my 6.5 is nicer than the ones you linked me :):hihi::hihi:

I know ... that's why it's so sad it got hailed on. Why didn't you get your wife to run out there and throw herself over the hood?:hihi:

I know ... that's why it's so sad it got hailed on. Why didn't you get your wife to run out there and throw herself over the hood?:hihi:
I sure Alicia would have been more than happy to do that for you Jim...:rolleyes5:

:D

I sure Alicia would have been more than happy to do that for you Jim...:rolleyes5:

:D

ROFL! Yeah, you might have noticed how compliant she is :)

Still, she's a good girl and loved that truck... she probably would have hit me over the noggin and dragged MY carcass over the hood, figuring I already had a few dents! :D

ROFL! Yeah, you might have noticed how compliant she is :)

Still, she's a good girl and loved that truck... she probably would have hit me over the noggin and dragged MY carcass over the hood, figuring I already had a few dents! :D

:rof:

Ummm yeah. I have about the same amount of control over Karla.

But she would have been sick if it were my truck. (sicker (sicker?:eek:) if it were hers...)

Back